Jennifer Johnson's Reviews > Silver Wedding

Silver Wedding by Maeve Binchy

2021711
May 25, 09

Read in December, 2006

Silver Wedding sounded interesting in theory, but in execution it didn't quite pull off what I think Binchy was aiming for. The premise is that Deirdre and Desmond O'Doyle are preparing to celebrate their 25th (silver) wedding anniversary and each individual chapter focuses on the lives of individuals involved with the anniversary party. The O'Doyle Children, Desmond and Deirdre as well as the best man of their party, the maid of honor and the priest who presided over the wedding. On the surface the lives of those individuals appear to be normal, but as each chapter reveals, each holds a deep personal secret that they wish to never be discovered. The book ends with the silver wedding where all these individuals converge on one place- and you'd expect that all of this information that we've learned about each character would come to a head.

You'd expect wrong.

Binchy takes all this time to build a back story on each individual character and then seems to go NOWHERE with the story. The "silver wedding" takes place and you keep waiting for something to happen and nothing does. Everything ties up in neat little packages, in such an odd way you're totally cheated of the INTERESTING part of the story. So yeah.... I was disappointed. It was nice to have a distraction... but honestly... I ended up feeling more like I wasted my sick time. This book gets a 3/10- with an "avoid" unless you like to waste your time on characters that are drawn well, but then abruptly end with no resolution.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Wedding.