Jan's Reviews > Dancing Wu Li Masters: An Overview of the New Physics

Dancing Wu Li Masters by Gary Zukav

207859
Feb 11, 09

Read in December, 2008, read count: 1

About 5 years ago, I went to see the movie "What the Bleep Do We Really Know?" Although I enjoyed the film, its larger scope and significance escaped me, due to my lack of background in the "new physics." I was trying to reconcile a fuzzy memory of Newtonian principles with the movie's theme; hence, I concluded that I must have really missed out by not ever taking a physics class.

Of course, the movie--and this book--are not much concerned with the rigorous mathematical description of reality that I used to associate with physics. Instead, the book focuses on the perceptions of those who conduct experiments in physics, applying their surprising (and sometimes mind-boggling) conclusions to questions that would seem to belong more to the realm of modern philosophy. In this way, "hard" science and "soft" science are brought to bear equally on questions about the nature of existence.

I highly recommend this book prior to viewing "What the Bleep . . ." in order to get much more out of the movie, which has a great deal to offer. I also recommend it just for the joy of witnessing a gorgeous translation of the language of physics to everyday English. Zukav's style is so welcoming that even the most mathematically hopeless person (that would be me)feels like s/he has an intuitive grasp of the workings of the universe.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancing Wu Li Masters.