Maria's Reviews > Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men

Why Does He Do That? by Lundy Bancroft

Mar 02, 09

Read in January, 2009, read count: 1

This book has helped me tremendously in my work with survivors of domestic violence. It's great to be able to explain what I've always known was the reason behind the abuse, but now in a really accessible and understandable way. The author gives us an avenue through which to discuss this subject.

I think the beauty of the way the book is written is that Bancroft makes it so accessible to anyone, without being too political. He writes so that anyone curious about abusive men can start reading and recognize some of their own experiences, and then soon are drawn in by the wise observations of Bancroft through his counseling experience. The more you read, the more he reveals the underlying misogyny and warped values that fuel this type of abuse.

His analysis definitely stems from a feminist point of view, which was great for me, but if you're not a fan of feminist theory, you will still enjoy this book. He doesn't overtly even mention feminism (at least not that I remember...perhaps once or twice) or much political theory at all, but somehow he still manages to explain how all these systems are connected. This is one of the most important pieces of the book, because once you can see how you yourself are a part of the systems which create abusive mindsets, you will begin to realize that yes, you CAN do something about it! It's a great feeling, and well worth reading. Highly recommended to anyone interested in violence against women, abusive men, social justice, or creating a better world.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Does He Do That?.