Claire's Reviews > Winter of the World

Winter of the World by Ken Follett

Nov 20, 12

bookshelves: fiction, historic-fiction
Read in November, 2012

I've been waiting for this book ever since reading the first of the Century Trilogy. I remember the first one, Fall of Giants, being better.

As with the others, there were people involved in diplomacy, spying, and the various militaries so that the whole European front could be covered. And by one character joining the Navy and his family visiting, Pearl Harbor was covered as well. While it was obviously a means to an end, it was not wholly unconvincing. I find myself wondering if my decrease in interest is that the book moves into history I remember.

Most of the romances fell flat, statements of longing for a person were unconvincing interjections.

Even though I knew the political outcomes, he characters interested me enough to care about what happened to them, and the pace kept my interest as well. However, I never got to the point where I couldn't put the book down.

Because of the complexity of the settings (USA, USSR, Germany, Britain, a little France and Spain) there were a lot of shifts in setting. Each time I had to review in my mind who the people were and what was the last thing that had happened to them. While this is always the case with shifting settings, it was more noticeable because of the gaps between their appearances. The list of characters by country in the front helped, and Follett subtly reminded readers of some of the needed information.

The ending was clearly setting up Vol 3 as well as tying up Vol 2, more noticeably than I remember of the first volume.

I look forward to Vol 3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter of the World.