Hayley G's Reviews > Crash

Crash by Lisa McMann

Jan 03, 13

bookshelves: 2013-arcs
Read from November 20 to December 01, 2012

O. My. Dog. A light, quick read with a suspenseful twist.

I read this one in sitting. Crash is very different from McMann's popular Wake series in terms of writing style- I found it much easier to read from Jules first-person narrative. There's an element of suspense in McMann's latest novel- you know something tragic is going to happen, but you just don't know when.

I found Jules to be a very entertaining narrator, I truly appreciated her wit and she was very down to earth. Here's one of my favourite quotes from her narrative:

...we would meet under the slide and trade suckers from the candy jar each of restaurants had by the cash register. I would bring him grape, and he always brought me butterscotch, which we never had in our restaurant. I'd do anything to get Sawyer Angotti to give me a butterscotch sucker again. CRASH, p. 8-9

I also enjoyed the supporting characters of Crash, including Trey, Jules' super sweet older brother. McMann does a great job of writing a realistic sibling bond between these two characters, and I found the dialogue between these two very relatable to anyone who has siblings.

I liked Sawyer as well, he's not book boyfriend material like Cabel but he's sweet and cares deeply for Jules (no matter what his family thinks).

I thought the Romeo/Juliet dynamic between these two was a little over-the-top, bordering on cheesy. The bad blood between Jules and Sawyer's family goes back a couple generations and both families are a bit dramatic with their hatred of each other, but it does help to add that extra bit of tension between these two lovebirds.

Crash is a very quick read, much like McMann's other novels. What Crash lacks in action, it makes up in it's dynamic characters and suspense. After the way McMann left things off with Crash, I will definitely be reading its sequel when it's available.

If you enjoy Young Adult reads with a snarky narrative, sweet romance and a splash of paranormal, than give Crash a try.

Happy Reading!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crash.