Serene's Reviews > The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

520483
Feb 20, 09

bookshelves: fiction
Read in February, 2009

I read this book because it won so many awards and because I remember enjoying _Drown_. I had a complicated reaction to it. The narrator's voice is amazing, like listening to music. It carries the story through some of the slow parts. Okay, there is profanity, quite a lot of it. I'd turn down any offer to read this book aloud. As for the story itself, well, a novel about a lovesick fat guy may not sound exciting, but in Diaz's hands, it is very interesting. I especially liked his portrait of Dominican society under the Trujillo regime, and the backstories of Oscar's mom and grandfather.

I got annoyed with some parts of the novel. About half way through, I wanted to yell at Oscar to get over it, so you weren't destined for true love. His obsessing got to me, as well as Diaz' constant portrait of Dominican males as these maniacal studs. Thought he was kind of creepy and I'm not sure I ever want to run into him. But I'm glad I read it. I just hope he changes themes for his next novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.