Kristy's Reviews > Heart of a Lion

1911255
Feb 11, 2009

bookshelves: fiction
Read in March, 2009

Heart of a Lion is book one in Gilbert Morris' Lion Of Judah series.

Young Noah has found life good and wholesome... until he steps outside his village and discovers a world of temptation. Drawn by a beautiful woman yet repulsed by the pagan practices of her tribe's dark worship, his inner struggle keeps him in torment.

Noah strains to hear the voice of God - through the warnings of a prophet, through the kind teachings of his grandfather Methuselah, through the loving concern of his family, and ultimately through personal confrontation. The message he receives is terrifying. Will he find the courage to obey?

Opposition intensifies to the call he has received, and a precious medallion handed down from ancient times reminds him of who he is... a man with a HEART OF A LION.

I have always enjoyed Gilbert Morris' work, and Heart of a Lion is no exception. I approached this book with the typical biblical knowledge of Noah's story, and was pleasantly surprised at the depth and added thoughts that Gil (as he is known by his friends ;-) brought out in the book. Some of them I had imagined differently, yet it was refreshing to dwell on his portrayal of the well known biblical account... especially the inclusion of giant sea beasts and battles against Nephilim!

I admire the way Gilbert Morris helps the reader get to know the characters in each story he writes, which then adds to the depth of the journey each one takes, with a bit of action and romance added too. He also has a gift at portraying the journey of the soul from hopelessness to hope and peace. As in other books of his I have read, these same principles applied with this story also.

I loved the way Noah was portrayed... as a man who has a heart towards God, yet who openly struggles with temptation and doubts. Despite these, he struggles towards choosing to do what is right on his journey through life.

Just imagine what it would have been like living in Noah's time, the state of the people, the general day to day living, the enormous task of building the ark... As I read this book my mind wandered and wondered, my faith was strengthened, the Biblical story came alive once again and I was inspired... for who knows what great plans God has ahead for us just like he did for Noah!

A great book, well worth the read. I am already getting ready to read book two in the series, No Woman so Fair.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of a Lion.

02/11/2009 page 20