Nancy's Reviews > The Broom of the System

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction, midwest-us
Read in July, 2009

OK
I'm going to delve into this book (our reading group selection for August) even though my friend Richard found it so confusing he gave up on it and my Goodreads friend Isabella says after reading half way through she still doesn't know what it's about.

Wish me luck

I can’t believe I finished this ridiculous book—what a waste of time. Richard was smart to quit after 129 pages. The story not only doesn’t make sense, it isn’t even interesting. It’s as though the author wrote down whatever idiotic idea came into his head—poked it in the book under a lettered organization system—occasionally referred to the same characters so there was a thread of continuity and ended the book when he ran out of steam. It was too silly to be funny, too ridiculous to have merit and too long-winded to be entertaining. If it hadn’t of been on the discussion list for our book club, I wouldn’t have read it. I usually can find something worthwhile in a book, even those I don’t particularly like. This one came up zero.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Broom of the System.

C.J. Prince Oh, dear. And I was going to start it tonight. Well, I'll see how far I get. Thanks for the review, Nancy.

message 2: by Rena (new) - rated it 1 star

Rena Jane Bless you, Nancy. Both for finishing this awful book and for being honest about how useless it is. I am on page 324, and likewise determined to finish it, but like you, find absolutely no redeeming value to it. It is disconnected and random, and completely nonsensical. Whoever recommended this -- I hope they attend the book club and we can let them know we're not amused.

Nancy Rena wrote: "Bless you, Nancy. Both for finishing this awful book and for being honest about how useless it is. I am on page 324, and likewise determined to finish it, but like you, find absolutely no redeemi..."

AMEN!
N

message 4: by Rlmteacher (new) - added it

Rlmteacher marcus Amen and pass the wine :)

Richard

message 5: by Cindi (new)

Cindi Ladies & Gentlemen: This is the literature of our times, and I think we are strangely "Stuck" in the 20th century, maybe even the 19th century, of linear, realistic story-telling. This is good for us. It stretches us out of our middle-aged comfort zone. I think we'll have a fascinating discussion at book group tonight... Cindi