Jacqui's Reviews > Escape

Escape by Carolyn Jessop

Feb 10, 2009

I just finished reading this harrowing tale of a woman raised and trapped in the FLDS religion and culture. I was appalled by the way she was treated, by the things that are forced on the FLDS women (and some men) by their leaders on a regular basis, and especially by Warren Jeff's takeover of the sect.

Being active LDS (which has nothing to do with the FLDS except a shared history over 100 years ago), it was crazy to me to read verbage and other things that the FLDS people use that are used by the LDS church, but have been twisted and changed by the FLDS.

I also was amazed that this sect was a break-off of the Mormon church a century ago, and yet espouses so many things that the Mormon church is undeniably against. One is the constant encouragement to get as much education as you possibly can. Another is to not follow religious leaders blindly, but to study, ponder and pray to God to get your own answers.

In all honesty, polygamy has always bothered the socks off of me. It still does. I cheered Carolyn on as she tried to make her break and get away from the oppressive and horrific life she was trapped in.

Sometimes the book got a little redundant. I tried to think about how it could be avoided, but couldn't come up with a better way than to simply wittle down the story a little bit. We get a lot of her day-to-day life, which is quite interesting, but sometimes gets a little long-winded and repetitive.

Overall a good, thought-provoking read. I have it if you want to borrow it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape.

12/10/2016 marked as: read