Jason's Reviews > Death on the Nile

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

1205474
Feb 10, 09

Read in February, 2009

The truth is that I have been reading The Complete Robot by Isaac Asimov since reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone back in December (and I’m enjoying it), but I took time out to read One Who Walked Alone. After finishing it, I was alone in the office, waiting for a format of the computer to finish, and had nothing to do. Death on the Nile was sitting on the shelf nearby, so I picked it up and started reading.
I went in knowing the identity of the murderer; Bird told me back when she read it. At first I was not sure if the story would be enough to keep me interested with my knowledge, but it was.
This is an excellent example of Agatha Christie at her finest.

4 Characters
Very good
Hercule Poirot is one of the finest literary creations I have ever read. He is not physically heroic, but he is charming, intelligent, and not completely without his faults.
The other characters are interesting, and Christie does an excellent job of giving each person a background, identity, motivation, and desire. I particularly like Colonel Race (I imagined him played by Adrian Lukis).

4.5 Pace
Very good with positive exceptions
I should have expected this; the book was hard to put down (and I knew who did it!) I read the last two hundred and something pages in a single day. It didn’t keep me up all night like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows or Stephen King’s Wizard and Glass, but it was real close.

4 Story
Very good
This story is very good. It’s a classic murder that includes all kinds of interesting characters, and takes place in a beautiful, exotic setting of a riverboat on the Nile.
My only complaint is that the actual plot seems like so much trouble. I have to wonder if the murderer couldn’t come up with something less complicated.

3 Dialogue
Good
The dialogue is good, and Poirot’s expressions and mannerisms are handled well. There aren’t any lengthy, needless explanations that bored me.

4 Style/Technical
Very good
Christie is really good at bringing the scenery alive without spending a lot of time on description. I almost felt like I was in Egypt with the characters. Otherwise everything is clear, except I lost track of who was speaking a few times (a common problem I have with Christie.)

3.9 Overall
Good with positive exceptions
Agatha Christie never disappoints. It is hard to believe that even knowing who the murderer was didn’t ruin this story for me. I was glued to the pages, and trying to understand how Poirot was going to figure this one out. I have no idea how she came up with all these things, and wrote them so perfectly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death on the Nile.