Nenia Campbell's Reviews > Fearscape

Mar 06, 14

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: books-i-wrote-or-am-writing
Read in November, 2012

EDIT//06/10/13: FEARSCAPE WILL BE FREE FOR DOWNLOAD JUNE 10-JUNE 11. READ THE DETAILS HERE.

Cover design by Louisa again! I love her so much! Isn't she talented? SHE IS SO TALENTED. HOPE YOU'RE EXCITED ABOUT YOUR ARC, BBY! ♥

Edit//11/30/12: FEARSCAPE IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR KINDLE FOR $1.99

Interested? Click HERE.

Once upon a time, there was a girl who read Twilight. And while she liked it--especially the creepier parts--she was annoyed by how sappy the male protagonist was and how easily the female got over his controlling, possessive behavior. And she thought to herself, "Wow, if this guy wasn't a vampire, this story would be totally effed up."

The Horrorscape series was born.

Well, actually, no. Not really. I'm lying. I started this story around '05 or '06, but it wasn't really fleshed out the way it is now until far later.

The premise is about a very young woman who gets romantically entangled with a boy whom she initially perceives as a twisted, tormented soul--only to realize that he's actually a burgeoning psychopath who's quite happy with the way he is, thanks, and by the way HAVE YOU SEEN MY BINDER OF WOMEN? No, seriously. He.... Well, that would be telling, wouldn't it?

Rather than the more usual route of the bad boy being softened by the good girl, Val starts to grow steadily more corrupt under his influence. She starts to develop some mental health disorders of her own, as a result of all the trauma he puts her through, a warped view of her own sexuality, and, ultimately, ends up far more cold and callous than the "nice" girl she initially was. I'm quite proud of this, and have taken great pains to portray him as unappealing as possible despite his attractive facade. While it was spurred on by books like Twilight and FSoG, it is really closer to Lolita or The Collector in tone because Gavin was never meant to be a real love interest, simply because, like the men in the two aforementioned books, he isn't capable of it.

When this was published online, I was often amused when people attempted to rationalize Gavin's sick and twisted behavior (sometimes the lengths to which they would go seemed rather, um, worrying. Men don't do things like this ((view spoiler)) to women they love). And saddened, because it just goes to show how thoroughly this "love trumps all" stereotype has permeated our culture.

It's definitely safe to say that the endless line of idealized abusive romances in YA and new adult romance prodded me into preparing this for publication. I'm a very contrary person, and my exact mindset at the time was something along the lines of, "They want abusive, border-line psychotic boyfriends? They'll get abusive, border-line psychotic boyfriends! IN SPADES!" Gavin is frightening--and the lengths he goes to possess the female character in this book and the others in the series are, well, horrifying.

Because the Horrorscape series is horror and while there are undertones of romance, the behavior of the characters contained within are far too dysfunctional and superficial to be considered love. And Lovescape doesn't really have the same sort of ring to it, does it?

Invisible rating!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fearscape.

Quotes Nenia Liked

Nenia Campbell
“Not all poison was bitter. Some of the deadliest poisons in the world tasted sweet; they were that much more dangerous because of it.”

Nenia Campbell
“I feel I could kill. I feel that I might like it. And I know that this should scare me. But it doesn't. It excites me. I am in Plato's cave, watching the shadows and fraught with the desire to hunt what casts them.”

Nenia Campbell
“Boys,” Lindsay agreed, nodding. “What doesn't get lost in translation?”

“Things with the letter X in front of them,” Rachel posited. “Like X-Box. And X-rated movies.”

Nenia Campbell
“Careful,” he said. “If you keep blushing like that I may do more than just draw you.”

Nenia Campbell
“You're like a half-tamed creature, still shy of the bridle. 'Except you enthrall me, never shall be free.' But freedom is an illusion, anyway.”

Nenia Campbell
“People only picked the pretty, sweet-smelling flowers. The ones with thorns were left alone.”

Nenia Campbell
“Just remember,” he told her. “If you run from me, I will pursue.”

Nenia Campbell
“Val had a horrific image of Lisa peering through a magnifying glass like a grotesquely teenybopper version of Nancy Drew — in jeggings.”

Nenia Campbell
“Some of the cruelest men in the world were born with silver tongues. They could charm a bird right out of the sky, only to break its wings. And no men, nice or cruel, offer favors lightly - not strangers. Not to young women. Not without expecting something back in return.”

Nenia Campbell
“Humanity is a cage, and our puritanical sensibilities comprise the bars. We are confined by our own reason and intellect, and yet most of us don't even know it.”

Nenia Campbell
“She had come into the garden expecting summer roses and had instead been caught in a bank of twisted, thorny, frostbitten vines.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sonia Can't wait for this book :D This one is one of my favorites from you. I still have to get your other two books T_T...but i will :D.

Its funny, i just realized, I follow you on livejournal (and have been for awhile now, yet recently i found you on good reads) lol :)

message 2: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell Yay! I love it when people from FP and LJ follow me on GoodReads. It's such fun to see what my readers read!

I definitely appreciate the support. ♥ If you read this on LJ, you're in for a treat because I've added a lot of new scenes to improve flow, changed the order of events, and basically increased it in length from a novella to a full-on novel.

YAY FOR REVISIONS!

Sonia :D

I'm glad. I'm happy to support you. Your one of the outstanding authors, I found while going through stories on fictionpress. :D

I believe i read almost all your versions of your stories, even the one on authonomy. lol. I hope you don't think I'm a stalker now T_T

I agree, befriending many people and seeing what they read is very interesting, I'm happy to say that i found many great books this way.

I loved your revisions before and thought, they were epic. :D I'm sure this one is will be even more so :D

Thank you for your hard work, in providing these wonderful stories :D

message 4: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell

That's sooooooo sweet. Omg! Of course I don't think you're a stalker. I think that's kind of amazing actually, and I just feel bad that you had to do all that cyber-running-around after me while I tried to decide where I wanted to post LOL.

I hope I manage to live up to such generous expectations! I'm trying my best to make it different enough that people won't be like YOU COPYPASTA'D YOUR ORIGINAL DRAFT. WE DON'T LIKE YOU.

Me, too! Nothing like bonding over a good ol' book rec. Let me know if you ever need one! ;)

And thanks again! You kind of made my day. Is there a sweetest comment award? Because you would totally win it!

message 5: by Karina (new) - added it

Karina Halle Must read this! I had a very similar idea, I was going to write the equivilant of Fear with Mark Walhberg to make a point about what sells. Then this came along. So glad you wrote this! Gonna get my copy tonight :)

message 6: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell Karina wrote: "Must read this! I had a very similar idea, I was going to write the equivilant of Fear with Mark Walhberg to make a point about what sells. Then this came along. So glad you wrote this! Gonna get m..."

This is exactly why we make such good book buddies! The world needs more psychos-who-are-actually-psychos. :)

Awwww. <333

P.S. doitdoitdoitdoit... that sounds awesome!

message 7: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell OH EM GEEEEEEE.

YOU? YOU? YOUUUU?

*incoming squeemission*

I hope you like it, too! Gotta love those edgy things. <333

message 8: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell Yes, Karina Halle said the same thing! Well, I'm glad others are desiring of similar plot points. Back when I posted on Fictionpress, I know it could be difficult appealing to readers who only wanted to read high school romance.

I know alllll about ARCs, trust me. I have like 6 I'm supposed to be reading and it's completely cray-cray. Your story sounds really good! I hope you decide to continue it at some point because it sounds like something I'd like to read! :)

Good luck with finals!

message 9: by Kana (new) - added it

Kana It's nice to know I'm not the only one who finds this YA trend bizarre and unhealthy.

message 10: by Kana (new) - added it

message 11: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell Nope! Definitely not. c:

Fafiliebe ♥ Prince Maxon ♥ Raffe ♥ so i have a question is this considered ya?? does t contain descriptive scenes ??? thanx

message 13: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell Fafiliebe wrote: "so i have a question is this considered ya?? does t contain descriptive scenes ??? thanx"

this one doesn't contain anything particularly explicit, but it does feature some very dark themes. horrorscape contains some explicit scenes, and terrorscape has parts that could be considered erotica. so no, i wouldn't say this is ya. some of my readers shelve it that way, though, so i suppose opinion differs on that matter.

hope that answers your question! :)

Fafiliebe ♥ Prince Maxon ♥ Raffe ♥ yes thanx...
i would really love to read one of ur books.. i like a good mystery, and it appears to be ur thing, but i don't read explicit scenes i skip them if they appear in a book i am reading.. i am not annoyed by some action and killing, i read kate daniels and it was really good and amazing, even the skips weren't frequent...
i get annoyed and uncomfortable by torture though,, i guess that is what dark means.. don't know!! :P
usually cruelty annoys me..
i saw this book Cloak and Dagger it appears to be stockholm syndrome.. 've read one book containing it, Stolen by Lucy Christopherbut the guy was reallyyyyy sweeetttttt <3 <3 <3
is ur book safe ?? :P

thanx :D

message 15: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell ummm. cloak and dagger is similar to stolen in the basic sense, but there is rape, torture, graphic violence, and the male mc is not exactly what one might term 'sweet.' (though he improves some in the second book.)

i'm afraid i've gotten a bit of a reputation for writing about psychotic and disturbing things. my friends make fun of me for it, and whenever i lose a bet i have to write them fluffy romance, which i hate. :p

wishing stars is pretty tame, though! and it's only 99-cents. so if you would like to start with one of my books and get a feel for my writing style without having tons of nightmares, i'd start with that one.

thanks for your interest!

Fafiliebe ♥ Prince Maxon ♥ Raffe ♥ hahahahaha... okkk thanx :D
i love psuchotc by the way.. but i love it tamed :P :P... i will sure check wishing stars...

thanxx

message 17: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell Fafiliebe ♥ Warner ♥ Prince Maxon ♥ wrote: "hahahahaha... okkk thanx :D

thanxx"

No problem! (:

Christine The Dark Romance Junkie *Mafia Princess* This is on my TBR for next week!!! I'm obsessed with your work!

message 19: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell <333

I love your reviews. I'm looking forward to being gif-bombed.

message 20: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne Tilney I just bought this book today. I can't wait to dive in:)

message 21: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell Raven wrote: "I just bought this book today. I can't wait to dive in:)"

Thanks, Raven! That's really amazing of you! Hope you enjoy it!

message 22: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne Tilney Nenia wrote: "Raven wrote: "I just bought this book today. I can't wait to dive in:)"

Thanks, Raven! That's really amazing of you! Hope you enjoy it!"

You're welcome. I've been dying to read it for some time. Besides the pretty cover is calling my name....

message 23: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell Oooh, I'll be sure to tell Louisa! She gets so happy when people compliment her covers!

message 24: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne Tilney She deserves it-she really does a good job.

message 25: by J. A. Owen (new) - added it

J. A. Owen  damn, look at all the great reviews! Great job!!!!! Can't wait to read this awesomness!

message 26: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell J. A. Owen wrote: "damn, look at all the great reviews! Great job!!!!! Can't wait to read this awesomness!"

Awww, thanks, J.A. ^_^

message 27: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell Oh wow. My books are in public LIBRARIES??? :O

message 28: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell Wow. Well, that just made my day. :)

message 29: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell I'm not surprised. I'm enrolled through KDP select, which means that I get more money if I sell my books through Amazon only. :(

message 30: by rachel (new) - added it

rachel is this available on Barnes and noble???

message 31: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell It isn't. I'm an indie author and vend my books through Smashwords and Amazon only. :(

message 32: by Nenia (new) - added it

message 33: by rachel (new) - added it

rachel the only problem is that i have a nook and i dont know if i can add a amazon app to it

message 34: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell Well, I've been meaning to add my books to Smashwords for a while now, so this might be the push I need. :)

I'll see what I can do!

message 35: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell OK! I just uploaded it to Smashwords, rachel. All thanks to you! ^_^

message 36: by rachel (new) - added it