Kelly's Reviews > Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell

Feb 10, 2009

bookshelves: favorites, military-nf, non-fiction

UNBELIEVABLE! I always thought those movies where the heroes get shot five times and fall off a cliff, but just keep getting up shooting were so unrealistic...apparently NOT! The second half of this book was impossible to put down - I was so caught up in the description of Operation Redwing. It was truly amazing and I will never think about our military in the same way again, even though I've always had a high opinion of the men and women fighting for our country. There was some slower reading in the first half, although it was still totally fascinating. I think everyone should read this book. I want my kids to read it...the faith and integrity of the men in this book is something our country needs more of.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lone Survivor.

Quotes Kelly Liked

Marcus Luttrell
“...the first murmurings from the liberal part of the U.S.A. that we were somehow in the wrong, brutal killers, bullying other countries; that we who put our lives on the line for our nation at the behest of our government should somehow be charged with murder for shooting our enemy. Its an insidious progression, the criticisms of the U.S. Armed Forces from politicians and from the liberal media, which knows nothing of combat, nothing of our training, and nothing of the mortal dangers we face out there on the front line.”
Marcus Luttrell, Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10

Marcus Luttrell
“..Washington, where the human rights of terrorists are often given high priority. And I am certain liberal politicians would defend their position to the death. Because everyone knows liberals have never been wrong about anything. You can ask them. Anytime.”

Marcus Luttrell
“We know about bad guys, what they do, and often, who they are. The politicians have chosen to send us into battle, and that's our trade. We do what's necessary. And in my view, once those politicians have elected to send us out to do what 99.9 percent of the country would be terrified to undertake, they should get the hell out of the way and stay there.

This entire business of modern war crimes, as identified by the liberal wings of politics and the media, began in Iraq and has been running downhill ever since. Everyone's got to have his little hands in it, blathering on about the public's right to know.

Well, the view of most Navy SEALs, the public does not have that right to know, not if it means placing our lives in unnecessary peril because someone in Washington is driving himself mad worrying about the human rights of some cold-hearted terrorist fanatic who would kill us as soon as look at us, as well as any other American at whom he could point that wonky old AK of his.”

Marcus Luttrell
“These men of the special forces have had other optinos in their lives, other paths, easier paths they could have taken. But they took the hardest path, that narrow causeway that is not for the sunshine patriot. They took the one for the supreme patriot, the one that may require them to lay down their lives for the United States of America. The one that is suitable only for those who want to serve their country so bad, nothing else matters. That's probably not fashionable in our celebrity-obsessed modern world. But special forces guys don't give a damn about that either.....They are of course aware of a higher calling, because they are sworn to defend this country and to fight its battles.”

Marcus Luttrell
“...these are the problems of the modern U.S. combat soldier, the constant worry about overstepping the mark and an American media that delights in trying to knock us down. Which we have done nothing to deserve. Except, perhaps, love our country and everything it stands for.”

Marcus Luttrell
“In the military, if we don't know something, we say we don't know and proceed to shut up until we do. Some highly paid charlatans in the media think it's absolutely fine to take a wild guess at the truth and then tell a couple of million people it's cast-iron fact, just in case they might be right...I hope they're proud of themselves, because they nearly broke my mom's heart.... ”

Marcus Luttrell
“...and I am left feeling that no matter how much the drip-drip-drip of hostility toward us is perpetuated by the liberal press, the American people simply do not believe it. They are rightly proud of the armed forces of the United States of America. They innately understand what we do. And no amount of poison about our alleged brutality, disregard of the Geneva Convention, and abuse of the human rights of terrorists is going to change what most people think...Some members of the media might think they can brainwash the public any time they like, but I know they can't. Not here. Not in the United States of America.”

01/29/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy I have this book and I love it! I feel so blessed to be surrounded by such amazing warriors. Not everyone is meant to go to war but I am so very thankful to those that do and for their dedication to country, to their companions on the battlefied, and to their mission. We are truly "The Land of the Free. because of the brave Tambo

Kelly I second everything you just said! I don't know why some people feel they have to hate our soldiers. They are the some of the most selfless people in our country in my opinion. Can I borrow your book?

Carol Wow--I can't wait to read this now!

Kelly You'll love it. Jake was always asking me "what is happening now, mom, what is happening now?" he was spellbound when i'd describe parts of this book to him. i definitely want him to read it!

Carol I'm just a chapter or two in, but I think I will have my boys read it, too. I'm already amazed by the heroism described.

Kelly Even though I would worry about my boys getting hurt...I think every boy could use the training of the Navy Seals to learn discipline and integrity! Incredible!

message 7: by Liza (new)

Liza I didn't read it because Lorin read some of ot to me and then he stayed up way late to finish it and woke me up early to share it with me. It serves to deepen my appreciation for those who serve and many who ultimately give their all for our freedoms. I don't think that we can fully appreciate or understand unless we have been there. Bless those women who are left behind.

Kelly Obviously I'm on a military book kick right now...:-)