ElaineY's Reviews > The Other Side

Dec 15, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: mm
Read from December 14 to 15, 2010 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** 2.5 stars.
A very forgettable book. To write this review, I had to check the last few pages to remember how it ended and to trigger my memory about what happened to Nick and Ray apart from their having sex every time they meet.

After what I thought would play a significant part in the story, the investigation into Ray's brother's assault was just cast aside. At the start of the story, Nick is the Internal Affairs guy on the case and Dr Ray Carmichael comes charging in to demand that the investigation get moving and they stop stalling and avoiding his calls. When he gets a hard-on at the police station for Nick and believes the attraction is mutual, he asks Nick out there and then. Nick follows like a puppy. Next, Dr Carmichael has Nick taken off the case so they can fuck without that annoying conflict of interest thing.

And that's the end we hear of the investigation. Even though we get to meet Ray's family, even though Devon does appear in the story. In the end, The Other Side is nothing more than an African-American having the hots for a white cop and if you changed their color to purple polka dots and green stripes, it wouldn't have made any difference because none of the issues that were dropped into the story were used.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side.