Steph Su's Reviews > Secret Society Girl

2010935
Feb 10, 09

bookshelves: own, writing-learn, favorites-2
Read in December, 2008

Amy Haskel is a junior at the esteemed Eli University, editor of the college literary magazine…and not much else. Which is why she is utterly surprised when she is “tapped” by one of the famed Eli secret societies—in fact, by THE most notorious secret society of all, Rose & Grave, for which admittance promises eternal job security, prime networking, and lifelong happiness, more or less.

Encouraged by her friend-with-benefits Brandon Weare to stop overthinking for once, Amy accepts Rose & Grave’s tap, and soon finds herself swept up in the strange new world of initiation and the company of people she would never have associated with if it weren’t for the common bond of their society: sons of governors and bitchy girls who did her wrong, for example. Surrounded by the rich, beautiful, accomplished, and famous, Amy feels extremely out of place, and wonders if she had been mistakenly tapped.

All of a sudden, a crisis descends that threatens to tear apart the whole society. Until Amy’s tap class, Rose & Grave had been exclusively a male-only society, and many of the old-fashioned patriarchs want to keep it that way. Amy and her new society siblings must scramble to come up with a plan that will keep Rose & Grave intact…and their futures out of the gutter.

SECRET SOCIETY GIRL marks the beginning of a series that is unlike most female-protagonist, secret-society books in that it is actually intelligent and funny. I found myself laughing out loud at many spots, and Amy is a wonderful protagonist, a girl with a backbone. Of course, there are still plenty of romantic entanglements to satisfy our natural desire for, well, desire. I’m excited to pick up the next book in the series and devour it like I did this one!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Society Girl.