Stephen Kennedy's Reviews > Fool

Fool by Christopher Moore

M_50x66
Mar 02, 09

bookshelves: audiobook, favorite-authors, humour, fiction
Read in March, 2009

About a year ago I got the Christopher Moore Audiobook for a Dirty Job on a suggestion from Audible.com. While this was not normally the type of book I would read or listen to I gave it a try. I was really impressed and soon got all of Moore's other books. Since then he has become one of my favorite authors!
I was anxiously awaiting the release of Fool and got it as soon as it came out.
In Fool, Moore recounts the story of King Lear however it is told from the view of Pocket, the King's fool. The book is filled with quotes and passages not only from King Lear but from several of Shakespeare's plays as well as of the requisite silliness from Moore as in his other books. While I don't recall if I fully read Lear in the past I had no problems following along with the story. There are so many great lines in this book. I found myself laughing out loud several times.
I listened to the Audiobook version of this and I have to say the narrator Euan Morton did an absolutely fantastic job with this book and I have to say it is one of the best Audiobooks I have listened to!
A word of warning however. There is a fair bit of profanity in this book so it is definitely not for kids. The first chapter promises;

"This is a bawdy tale. Herein you will find gratuitous shagging, murder, spanking, maiming, treason, and heretofore unexplored heights of vulgarity and profanity, as well as nontraditional grammar, split infinitives, and the odd wank . . . If that's the sort of thing you think you might enjoy, then you have happened upon the perfect story!"

And yes there is a lot of shagging!
If you are a Christopher Moore fan this book is a must have. My favorite Moore book is still Lamb, but Fool now comes in a close second to that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool.