Patrick's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Sep 02, 2009

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in September, 2009

OK, so I stayed up until 3:00 on a school night and finished it. It's awesome! I think that it won't have quite the "Wow!" factor of Book 1, but it's a different story. The world is established and violence isn't quite as surprising any more. The complicated relationships left hanging from the last book are just excellent--I think that key relationship is the best part of the story. Katniss is a great character who feels real.

The escalation of tension as Katniss navigates the political waters is great. There is a major plot twist halfway through that at first I didn't love, but it quickly became mixed in with the other plot threads I enjoyed and was very interesting. I love the political and personal scheming going on throughout the book. The ending is much like the first book--some big things are resolved, but there are huge questions that you will have to wait a year to find out.

Suzanne Collins is a little-known, major talent.

Oh yea! My wife is reading this and remarked on something I had forgotten to mention. It's another girlfriend/boyfriend (well, pseudo boyfriend here) sleeping together, but only for chastely for comfort. I have to say it makes a heck of a lot more sense and is not creepy in Catching Fire, unlike the Twilight Series. I mean the kids are basically experiencing Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome after being in a gruesome warzone and are still under threat of death and torture. But my mom just read a book with another couple hanging out in bed and it seems to be a quirky trend in YA fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.