Jill's Reviews > The Duchess War

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
3820197
's review
Dec 11, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance-european, 2012-4-5-5-stars
Read in November, 2012



***5 stars***

The Duchess War is intelligent, beautiful, romantic, humorous, heartbreaking. Excellent!

This is everything I look for in a historical romance.

Full review in December issue of InD'Tale Magazine
http://www.indtale.com/reviews/duches...

Reviewed for InD'Tale Magazine
http://www.indtale.com/
39 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess War.
Sign In »

Comments (showing 1-50 of 106) (106 new)


Lisa Lucky duck, lol :)


Jill Lisa wrote: "Lucky duck, lol :)"

Thanks Lisa!


Anna (Bobs Her Hair) *gasp* I am green with envy! Updates! Updates! Don't forget to give some quotes! ;o)


Jill Anna wrote: "*gasp* I am green with envy! Updates! Updates! Don't forget to give some quotes! ;o)"

I wish I could give updates and quotes, Anna! But I'm reading an ARC. Courtney Milan hasn't finished final editing and I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate any quotes, etc.

Just let me say I'm over a third of the way and it's brilliant! There are not too many authors that can write such original, layered plots and characters. Romance tropes predict that a character will say or do such and such. Hers don't!


message 5: by Anna (Bobs Her Hair) (last edited Nov 20, 2012 04:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Jill wrote: "I wish I could give updates and quotes, Anna! But I'm reading an ARC. Courtney Milan hasn't finished final editing and I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate any quotes, etc.

Just let me say I'm over a third of the way and it's brilliant! There are not too many authors that can write such original, layered plots and characters. Romance tropes predict that a character will say or do such and such. Hers don't!"




*wipes tears* O-okay. *sobs* I understand.

Her website says next week it might release. *crosses fingers*

Enjoy! ;D


message 6: by Jill (last edited Nov 20, 2012 04:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Anna wrote: "Jill wrote: "I wish I could give updates and quotes, Anna! But I'm reading an ARC. Courtney Milan hasn't finished final editing and I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate any quotes, etc.

Just let me s..."


Thanks Anna!
PS I absolutely love those gifs of Jensen Ackles/Dean Winchester. His face is always so expressive!


Anna (Bobs Her Hair) LOL...Pretty Boy has gorgeous eyes!


Jill Anna wrote: "LOL...Pretty Boy has gorgeous eyes!"

Pretty Boy has gorgeous...everything!


Dina Me wants it too! Now!!! *pouts*


message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Dina wrote: "Me wants it too! Now!!! *pouts*"

Lol! I think it'll be out fairly soon, Dina.


message 11: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Ooh. Not fair... Me jealous :)


message 12: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Mimi wrote: "Ooh. Not fair... Me jealous :)"

Tammy needed this one read and reviewed asap as the deadline for the mag is soon. I think she knows I'm the most gullible. Having said that, it was no hardship!:)


message 13: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Jill wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Ooh. Not fair... Me jealous :)"

Tammy needed this one read and reviewed asap as the deadline for the mag is soon. I think she knows I'm the most gullible. Having said that, it was no ..."


LOL, couldn't have been a hardship. You get the best books, Jilly. But don't worry, I still love you!


message 14: by Ana (new) - added it

Ana Lucky, lucky, lucky... :D


message 15: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Ana wrote: "Lucky, lucky, lucky... :D"

OMG, you're back online?!? Awesome!


message 16: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Mimi wrote: "Jill wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Ooh. Not fair... Me jealous :)"

Tammy needed this one read and reviewed asap as the deadline for the mag is soon. I think she knows I'm the most gullible. Having said tha..."


Lol! Thanks Mims!


message 17: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Ana wrote: "Lucky, lucky, lucky... :D"

Yeah, I was lucky to get this to read early, Ana. Now to write the review...


message 18: by Dd (new) - added it

Dd Waiting!!:)


message 19: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri I can't wait!!! :-)


message 20: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Dd wrote: "Waiting!!:)"

@ Dd
Soon Dd.


message 21: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Keri wrote: "I can't wait!!! :-)"

I loved it Keri!


Blacky *Romance Addict* Will you be posting your full review after the magazine is out? I'd like to know more about it :) Haven't read any books by this author yet :)


message 23: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Blacky wrote: "Will you be posting your full review after the magazine is out? I'd like to know more about it :) Haven't read any books by this author yet :)"

I'll post a partial review, Blacky.
In the meantime, why don't you read the prequel to this series - The Governess Affair The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5) by Courtney Milan

Courtney Milan is one of my top fav HR authors. I really think you should try her.


Blacky *Romance Addict* Really? Hm. Ok I'll try this one :) Heard f her a lot but haven't gotten the chance to try any of her books.
Thanks Jill :)


message 25: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Blacky wrote: "Really? Hm. Ok I'll try this one :) Heard f her a lot but haven't gotten the chance to try any of her books.
Thanks Jill :)"


You're welcome, Blacky. hope you enjoy it!


message 26: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Blacky wrote: "Will you be posting your full review after the magazine is out? I'd like to know more about it :) Haven't read any books by this author yet :)"

Oh, Blacky, I love Courtney Milan, and I'm not the biggest fan of HR. She just writes so beautifully! So, read it!

Jill, on another note-are we allowed to post partials here? Or do we have to write something completely different?


Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I look forward to reading your review when it's published. Love the pic, Jill.


message 28: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Kristen wrote: "I look forward to reading your review when it's published. Love the pic, Jill."

Thanks Kristen. It's appropriate for a couple of scenes in the story.


message 29: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Mimi wrote: "Blacky wrote: "Will you be posting your full review after the magazine is out? I'd like to know more about it :) Haven't read any books by this author yet :)"

Oh, Blacky, I love Courtney Milan, an..."


Jill, on another note-are we allowed to post partials here? Or do we have to write something completely different?
No, we aren't allowed, Mimi. But a rating, an image, a line of review and a link to the review at InD'Tale surely would pass. At least that's what I've been doing as a partial review.


message 30: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Jill wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Blacky wrote: "Will you be posting your full review after the magazine is out? I'd like to know more about it :) Haven't read any books by this author yet :)"

Oh, Blacky, I love Court..."


Yes, I thought something of the kind, then you said a partial, and I thought a partial of your InD'tale review... In any case, looking forward to seeing your full review!


Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter I'm looking forward to reading it, Jill. :)


message 32: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Baba wrote: "I'm looking forward to reading it, Jill. :)"

It's great, Baba. I'm sure you'll love it.


Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Looking forward to your review, Jill! Anyone know when the December reviews will be issued? I'm a subscriber. :o)

On Courtney Milan's website, a secondary character (Lydia Charington) from Duchess War gets a Christmas novella A Kiss For Midwinter. It looks good! Is there any lead into The Heiress Effect? Yeah, I know. I'm very anxious for this story. Wants! Wants! LOL


message 34: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Anna wrote: "Looking forward to your review, Jill! Anyone know when the December reviews will be issued? I'm a subscriber. :o)

On Courtney Milan's website, a secondary character (Lydia Charington) from Du..."


Anna Looking forward to your review, Jill! Anyone know when the December reviews will be issued? I'm a subscriber. :o)
Between 5-10 December. It's a double issue, so won't be out right at the beginning of December.

On Courtney Milan's website, a secondary character (Lydia Charington) from Duchess War gets a Christmas novella A Kiss For Midwinter.
Thanks for the heads-up, Anna. I wondered who the heroine was going to be.

Is there any lead into The Heiress Effect?
Yes.

I'm very anxious for this story. Wants! Wants! LOL
It's very good! Imo CM is one of the very best writers of HR at present.


Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Awesome! Thanks, Jill! :)


message 36: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire Gillian Wow! 5 stars! **adds to TBR pile** I just bought another one of hers yesterday.


message 37: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla OMG...I'm seeing stars...5 of them! Wow! I will link on over that check out your review Jill!

Love that pic!


Wendy Woohooo! The "5 star nazi" has succumbed! That's it Jilly, I need to add! :)


Anna (Bobs Her Hair) I see the release has been bumped to Dec. 5th. :(


message 40: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill @ Claire
Courtney Milan is one of my very favourite HR authors. She writes just that bit differently, avoiding the usual romance tropes. Hope you enjoy this one as well!

@ Karla
One of only a handful of 5 stars for this year, Karla. The review will be out in the December issue, sometime between 5-10 December.

@ Wendy
Wen!!!!!!! I know, 5 stars! It was glorious. I've sent you a message about The Governess Affair by CM.

@ Anna
I heard that, Anna. At this rate my review may be out before CM's release date. I guess when you're self-pubbing you want to get it right. I like that cos it means she's thinking of her readers.


message 41: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire Gillian I had the privilege of hearing Courtney speak at this year's RWA. I was very impressed at how she took over her career and became self-pubbed--analyzing what worked and what didn't through detailed data analysis. Very intelligent, pragmatic woman. I read the Governess Affair as my intro to Courtney.


message 42: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Claire wrote: "I had the privilege of hearing Courtney speak at this year's RWA. I was very impressed at how she took over her career and became self-pubbed--analyzing what worked and what didn't through detailed..."

I had the privilege of hearing Courtney speak at this year's RWA
You lucky woman!

Very intelligent, pragmatic woman.
I agree, and this comes across in her writing.

I read the Governess Affair as my intro to Courtney.
I thought that novella was brilliant! An excellent intro to this series.


KatLynne YAY!! 5 Stars!!! Can't wait for this release and looking forward to your review Jilly!


message 44: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill KatLynne wrote: "YAY!! 5 Stars!!! Can't wait for this release and looking forward to your review Jilly!"

It's just so well-written, KatLynne! And you know how hard it is for me to part with my 5-stars!


Kelly22 5.00 whole stars, Jills!!!

I am feeling the overwhelming pressure to read this now :D


message 46: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Kelly22 wrote: "5.00 whole stars, Jills!!!

I am feeling the overwhelming pressure to read this now :D"


I know, Kells!

I.LOVED.IT!


 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Wow, 5 FULL stars from Jilly! That is HUGE! :-) Must be AHMAZING. I stil haven't read a Courtney Milan yet. I really must.

And congrats on your review in InD'Tale Magazine! Awesome!


message 48: by Jill (last edited Dec 04, 2012 04:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Wow, 5 FULL stars from Jilly! That is HUGE! :-) Must be AHMAZING. I stil haven't read a Courtney Milan yet. I really must.

And congrats on your review in InD'Tale Magazine! Awesome!"


I stil haven't read a Courtney Milan yet. I really must.
What??!! Stop what you're doing, Jaynie! And post this immediately on your to-read shelf -

The Governess Affair The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5) by Courtney Milan

That's the prequel novella for this series and an excellent place to start.

Wow, 5 FULL stars from Jilly! That is HUGE! :-)
I loved it, Jaynie!

And congrats on your review in InD'Tale Magazine! Awesome!
Thanks!


 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* I have a few of her books because of yours and Dhestiny's consistently glowing reviews of her work. I just don't know where to start!!

I have these:

Unlocked (Turner, #1.5) by Courtney Milan Unveiled (Turner, #1) by Courtney Milan Unclaimed (Turner, #2) by Courtney Milan Proof by Seduction (Carhart, #1) by Courtney Milan Unraveled (Turner, #3) by Courtney Milan


message 50: by Richa (new) - added it

Richa Waiting for the review, Jill! And adding this to my TBR List! :)


« previous 1 3
back to top