Kat's Reviews > Mean Streets

Mean Streets by Jim Butcher

Aug 26, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, urban-fantasy, short-stories, 2009
Read in February, 2009

At first, I only read the Jim Butcher story in this. I only picked it up for a quick Dresden fix, then decided I couldn't own a book I haven't read in its entirety.

Dresden Story- My biggest complaint about this story was that it was, in fact a VERY quick Dresden fix- a very short story. The story focused around Michael, former Knight of the Cross, and the whole issue of the swords that Harry is current custodian of. Harry got in some snarky comments, did shockingly little magic, got his butt kicked, and won in the end. All of the necessary Dresden elements, but he actually got to sleep in this story!

The second story in the book was odd at best. The author kept beating the same phrases about how dark his world was. It was annoying.

It's been a few weeks (I had no Internet connection around the time I finished the book, thus didn't get around to my review), so I've almost entirely forgotten the last two stories, but I do remember thinking at the end that the whole collection rated about 3 stars. If you're looking for a Dresden fix- check it out from the library, don't buy it. I don't really consider a 3-star book one to buy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mean Streets.