The Holy Terror's Reviews > Speak of the Devil

Speak of the Devil by Jenna Black

2016128
Jan 17, 16

it was ok
bookshelves: demons, urban-fantasy, owned, wtf-is-wrong-with-me, color-orange, color-yellow, to-sell
Read in October, 2009

This really felt like a transition novel, more filler than anything. The book before was pretty action-packed and all kinds of things happened. This one was just kind of blah. It really feels like things are getting stretched out and the main storyline was boring.

Here's what happens in a nutshell, practically spoiler-free:

Morgan gets in trouble with bad guys
Morgan has to ask for Adam's help reluctantly
Morgan gets mad at Adam because he tells her she needs help and a bodyguard
Dominic makes some fantastic food and coffee
Brian gets mad at Morgan because she has trust issues and they have a big fight
Lugh tries to seduce Morgan
Morgan stupidly tries to solve the mystery herself and gets herself into even more trouble

and throw in some light BDSM and you've got the bulk of the book.

Doesn't that sound like the last two in the series though, but without the compelling plot to flesh out the story? It's gotten to the point that I'm reading this series because I want to find out what happens with the characters and not because it's an engaging read.

Unfortunately I'm also finding it hard to like Morgan. She doesn't really get along with or trust anyone, and she's stubborn to a fault, practically stupidly so. She really needs to grow a bit more for me to like her again.

I'm really hoping the next book is better.

Here's my review of the last book in the series: The Devil's Playground.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speak of the Devil.

10/14/2009 page 0
10/14/2009 page 102
30.36% "Meh. Nothing much has happened yet, kind of blah."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user Hmm, may put this series on the back burner after all. Thanks for the warnings. Good review. I can't stand those heroines.

The Holy Terror What sucks is I've loved the series up until this one. The first three books are definitely worth reading. I think that's why I was so disappointed with this one, because I really do like the series as a whole. It's very different than anything else out there.

Nichole (Dirrty H) Wow, your review sums up my thoughts exactly. I got stuck about halfway through and haven't picked it up again, though I do plan to finish it.
But I totally loved the first three books. Then this one just seemed like... more of the same. I liked Morgan up until this book, but now it's like, "Really? You're still doing that?" There's been no character growth and that's no fun to read. I got bored because it didn't feel like a new book, it felt like a rehash of the previous three.

The Holy Terror Yeah, exactly. It's like everything Morgan went through didn't change her in any way whatsoever. She just keeps doing and saying the same asinine things. I don't know how many times she think to herself; "I always blurt out the wrong things at the wrong times and put my foot in my mouth ..." Yeah? Well, quit doing that! It's like this never-ending loop of her doing things that she knows she shouldn't. Honestly if Lugh wasn't in the picture then I don't think there'd even be a story to tell. No one would hang around Morgan for very long.

message 5: by The Holy Terror (last edited Oct 16, 2009 08:36PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

The Holy Terror Oh, and did you see the cover art for the next book, The Devil's Playground? I think it's terrible:

[image error]

The girl is not pretty at all, or it's a really poor angle for her, if it's a photo - I'm not sure. And I hate it when the cover art changes so drastically in the middle of a series, why couldn't they stick with the same cover designer?