The Holy Terror's Reviews > The Smoke Thief

The Smoke Thief by Shana Abe

2016128
Sep 23, 11

bookshelves: dragons, strips, color-green, color-yellow, historical-romantic-fantasy, shifters, historical, surprised-i-didn-t-hate-it, 2010
Recommended for: fans of historical romance and/or fantasy and/or dragons
Read from May 01 to 09, 2010

I wasn't sure how a historical romance with dragon-shifter characters was going to play out; it could have been really cheesy. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised with this one. The author blended magic, romance, and a historical setting with this cat-and-mouse story seamlessly. I was completely drawn into the world and characters and I can't wait to read more about the drakon now.

Clarissa Rue Hawthorne is a halfling; have Other (human) and half Drakon (dragon). She's an outsider in her community and is constantly picked on by the stronger girls. She quietly watches as the alpha-to-be Christoff Langford flirts and chases after all the other girls in the shire, falling in love with him against her better judgment.

Fast forward 9 years and Clarissa has escaped the shire and its strict rules to live among the Others in London. Clarissa is drawn to the jewels and treasures of the wealthy in London, and she stops at nothing to get what she wants.

But when Christoff brings his tribe's own treasure to London to show off to the public, Clarissa fears that she might be recognized and taken back against her will. The only problem is, during the showing someone else takes the gem and Clarissa is forced to help Christoff recover it, all the while fighting off his advances. Clarissa knows he sees women as replaceable and she doesn't want to become one of the many. Christoff has other plans for her though.

Clarissa is a great character. She's independent, head-strong, smart, resourceful, and likable. Christoff is your typical alpha-male, but he knows when to push and when to back off; the man has great timing. I liked how we got to see inside his head a bit to see what he was thinking and feeling.

Both characters were very well-written and their romance was believable. Some might not like the whole fated to be mates thing, but honestly, their romance had started almost 10 years ago so it wasn't as if they had just met. Plus they didn't jump into bed right away and the tension was built up adequately. And the scenes where they finally gave into their urges were really hot.

I thought that giving them two forms - smoke and dragon - was really neat. As a friend pointed out, their smoke form is an ingenious way to camouflage them until they get above the clouds so they can then turn into dragons without people seeing them. It actually is very clever, and also useful to escape out of sticky situations.

I also really liked the character of Zane and I was happy to see that he shows up in the next book. I'm curious to see what happens with him.

I enjoyed this book a lot and I really appreciated the author's way with words. This book has a fairytale quality to it and her writing is magical. When you read the parts when they're smoke or dragons you really get pulled along for the ride.

I don't read a whole lot of historical romance but even if there hadn't been dragon-shifters and magic in this I still probably would have liked it. This really was a great start for this series and I look forward to reading more by this author!
22 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Smoke Thief.

05/01/2010 page 0
0.0% 1 comment

Comments (showing 1-14)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 14: by Ridley (last edited May 08, 2010 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ridley I have this on my pile too. Seeing you give it four stars makes me think I should move it up the list a bit.

The Holy Terror It was really good and I read it while being really distracted and I still liked it. Clarissa is a spitfire but she's never bitchy. And Christoff is sexy as hell but not domineering and caveman-like. They were both very strong characters and a perfect match for each other. The world-building was top-notch too. For a first book in a series it was really well-developed and a lot of fun.

Ally72 Fantastic review, Shannon! I have this book in my TBR pile and now I want to read it very soon!!!

message 11: by new_user (last edited May 08, 2010 09:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

new_user Yay! She does have a way with words, particularly when she draws the dragons. I got the impression they could turn to smoke so they could get out of sight behind the clouds before becoming dragons. Clever, no? It's good camo at any rate. ;)

Christoff was smokin' and I bet you'll enjoy Zane too. ;)

The Holy Terror new_user wrote: "I got the impression they could turn to smoke so they could get out of sight behind the clouds before becoming dragons. Clever, no? It's good camo at any rate. ;)"

Yeah, you're right, that's definitely why. It was very clever. I already like Zane so it'll be interesting to see him all grown up.

The Holy Terror Ally wrote: "Fantastic review, Shannon! I have this book in my TBR pile and now I want to read it very soon!!!"

Thanks! I think you'd like it a lot!

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick I loved this book too. I thought it was beautifully written. The Smoke Thief is on my list for this month.

The Holy Terror You mean The Dream Thief? I'm trying to decide if I want to read a challenge book or continue with this series now. I really want to read the next book!

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick LOL yeah thats the one I meant. Oops.

new_user He's edible when he's all grown up. ;)

The Holy Terror So it was easy to substitute the Dream Thief into my challenges so it looks like I will read it sometime this month! It's been a while since I wanted to continue on with a series instead of moving on to something else.

new_user Awesome! LOL. I know the feeling! Sometimes it feels like no hardship to wait on the sequel. I didn't even realize this was a series when I first read it -that wasn't too long after it first released- so when I saw the second on the shelves, I snatched it up so fast you didn't even see my hand move, LOL.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) This is one of my all time favorites!

message 1: by KC (new) - rated it 3 stars

KC Love this book. Thanks for the excellent review. :)