The Holy Terror's Reviews > Midnight Alley

Midnight Alley by Rachel Caine

2016128
I don't want to read this series anymore but I want to know what happens. Sort of a conundrum, huh? My main problem: I don't care what happens to any of the kids. They're whiny, annoying, poorly developed, and they do really stupid things. Claire, the supposed genius, does the dumbest thing anyone can do; she reveals to the villain that she figured out it was them killing people while she's STUCK IN A MOVING CAR ALONE WITH THEM!!! Sorry. Had to get that out. Claire needs to watch some horror movies and then do the opposite of what all the people that get killed do.

So, what was this book about? Not a whole lot. The plot is very similar to the previous books: Eve dresses up Goth and whines, Shane mopes and broods and gets in fights, Michael mopes and feels misunderstood, and Claire complains that she's not a kid while getting into the worse possible situations she can get herself into.

And why does Claire help out the bitch Monica and her friends with ANYTHING? Yeah, she sort of gets blackmailed at one point, but helping out Monica's friend with her homework, seriously? In Glass Houses THEY PUSHED HER DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS! I understand that if Claire hadn't been in Common Grounds, certain events wouldn't have played out, but figure out a more plausible reason to get her there, Caine!

And I'm getting sick of Shane and Claire's dry-humping. Shane claiming he made a promise to her parents and his word means something is ridiculous. Give me a break. If he was so honorable he wouldn't go around picking fights and being a smart-ass to everyone he meets. If these were real kids he would have boned her already, age be-damned. Or they would be doing EVERYTHING except actually having sex.

The one thing saving this series though? The vampires. Especially Myrnin. Myrnin is a crazy old vampire locked in a basement filled with books and contraptions. He works for Amelie and she sends Claire to help him out because Claire is super smart. He's funny and insane and the bright spot in this boring novel. I wish the vampires were the main focus and the kids were the side story because both Myrnin and Amelie are underused.

I'm still having the same problem with this series that I've had from the beginning; Caine has some great ideas but she executes them poorly. I don't feel emotionally attached to the characters and I could care less if they live or die. And the end? What the hell? The book doesn't end with a cliffhanger, it ends mid-scene. This is such a terrible way to end a novel and it makes me want to throw it against the wall!

I've got friends telling me this series only gets better, so I should keep reading. Really, when does it get better? Please tell me. I think I'll read the next book when I want a reason to be pissed off. Maybe if my expectations are super low I'll be surprised.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Alley.

05/09/2010 page 0
05/09/2010 page 26
10.61% "I seem to be having the same problem with this one that I had with the last book-I'm not emotionally connected and it's hard to stay focused" 5 comments
05/14/2010 page 61
24.9% "All right," he said. "A contest. Computer versus abacus." o_O Lol, I'm seeing his appeal already." 3 comments
05/14/2010 page 82
33.47% "So is it Shane face-down on the hood or Michael? I hate continuity issues."
05/14/2010 page 212
86.53% "Such a good idea to let the villain know you figured things out while you're trapped in a car alone with them. I thought Claire was smart?" 2 comments
05/14/2010 page 245
100.0% "Sigh ... I'm just kind of pissed off at this series. I wish I hadn't bought the next couple of books too because I kind of want to drop it." 4 comments

Comments (showing 1-17)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 17: by Rossy (new)

Rossy Hmmm, this sounds very Twilight to me. I say skip to book #7, if you like that one then go back and read the ones you skipped in between.

Great review!

The Holy Terror Thanks!

Lol, yeah, my OCD won't let me skip books. Plus, I don't own book 7 and I'm not about to waste more money on this series. At least, not yet. And I'm not really sure how it compares to Twilight since I haven't read it.

message 15: by Gus (new)

Gus I could only read the first 2. Horrible, horrible things!

The Holy Terror I'm kicking myself for buying the first six. : (

message 13: by Leah (new)

Leah Great review, Shannon. It's definitely made me think twice about reading this series. I was planning on it, and my sister actually owns a couple, but now I don't think I'm going to. LOL

The Holy Terror At this point I really can't recommend it. I'll trudge through the next few though and let you know if it does get better!

message 11: by Bry (new)

Bry Yeah I don't understand the ending mid-scene. I get that an author wants to entice readers to read the next book but come on. I want to read the next book because I enjoyed this one and not because the author decided to put the real ending in the next one.

And you are so right, for Clair being SO SMART she is such an idiot.

message 10: by Leanne (new)

Leanne Bell I was going to read this series, but i'm not too sure. Having read your review, i have to admit it sounds like a dumb book, but hey, might give it a go anyway when i get the chance

message 9: by The Holy Terror (last edited May 15, 2010 11:08PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

The Holy Terror Bry wrote: "Yeah I don't understand the ending mid-scene. I get that an author wants to entice readers to read the next book but come on. I want to read the next book because I enjoyed this one and not because the author decided to put the real ending in the next one.

And you are so right, for Clair being SO SMART she is such an idiot. "

I actually would prefer a cliffhanger and not the weird way she goes about ending things. I don't think I've ever seen any other author end a book like that.

And I think Claire is an idiot savant.

The Holy Terror Leanne wrote: "I was going to read this series, but i'm not too sure. Having read your review, i have to admit it sounds like a dumb book, but hey, might give it a go anyway when i get the chance"

You know, I'm actually in the minority when it comes to this series so who knows, you might enjoy it. Maybe I'm expecting too much? I don't know. You could always just check it out from the library.

Shanon I can't say you'll like future books any more than the first few. This is one of those series that I enjoyed WHILE reading it but looking back it wasn't all that spectacular. Twilight was very similar for me in terms that it just didn't age well.

I completely agree that Myrnin is a wonderful character and continues to be very fun throughout the series.

The Holy Terror Shanon wrote: "This is one of those series that I enjoyed WHILE reading it but looking back it wasn't all that spectacular."

I guess that doesn't bode well for me then, huh? Oh well, they can't all be great.

message 5: by Leah (new)

Leah Shannon, I would appreciate you letting me know how the rest go. I wouldn't want to read a bad series.

Shanon, it's like Twilight, huh? That certainly does not bode well. I really cannot see what I saw in that series now that it's been a few years since I read it.

The Flooze Yeaaaaahhhhh. The only thing I can say is that the next book has lots of Myrnin. I'm serious when I say he's the whole reason I read it.

message 3: by Tabatha (new) - added it

Tabatha Alcina I feel the same way about this series. I'm embarrassed to be reading it, but want to know what happens. Also, Myrnin and Amelie ARE awesome. I fear th...moreI feel the same way about this series. I'm embarrassed to be reading it, but want to know what happens. Also, Myrnin and Amelie ARE awesome. I fear that if she did use them more, though, she wouldn't know where to put them or what to with them once she gets them there. Or, honestly, how they even got there to begin with. Also, I told my bf the exact same last night, that she has great ideas, but doesn't know how to execute them.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen You took the words right out of my mouth! I don't want to continue reading the series either but I already read the first two and I just can't NOT continue ):

message 1: by Imani (new)

Imani great review. couldn't agree more!