Nancy's Reviews > The Devil's Highway: A True Story

The Devil's Highway by Luis Alberto Urrea

Feb 22, 09

bookshelves: latin-america, immigrants, southwestern-us, politics, sociology, hispanic
Read in February, 2009

It’s a shocking account of the danger and crime that exist on the border between the U.S. and Mexico, centering on a crossing of Mexican illegals in which 14 men lost their lives, known as the Yuma 14. It is a tragic story of desperate men trying to make better lives for their families and the dangers they face along what is referred to as “The Devil’s Highway”—extreme heat well over 100 degrees, lack of water, violence from criminals as well as corrupt officials and naivete’ on the part of the ‘walkers’ regarding the dangers that lie ahead in the Sonora desert. It’s an intense book and one not soon forgotten.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Highway.

Rena Jane I finished the book last night. It was really an eye-opener that people complain about how much immigrants cost the U.S., but the figures for the taxes they pay, etc. showed the balance to be different. I think we need to take a more balanced look at immigration, and to have more dialogue with Mexico and try to improve the whole situation. I'll write more later for you to share with the book group.