Nicole's Reviews > Pretty Monsters: Stories

Pretty Monsters by Kelly Link

Feb 13, 09

Read in February, 2009

Before I began this review, I read some other opinions on-line. It isn't that I didn't know my opinion of the stories so far, but I wasn't sure if I was alone. Kelly Link is a good writer. By that I mean Kelly Link is very creative and does write interesting narratives. That being written I don't particularly like these stories. I am a little more than halfway through them and have found only one or two that I can honestly write I enjoyed. The few I have found interesting were also beyond creepy. She can definitely weave an eerie tale. This book has been a window onto a style of writing I wouldn't normally gravitate towards. However, it's good to try new things. I'm glad I picked this book to read. We all need a dose of something new. Either the change will wake us up or make us appreciate and identify even more with what we do love about literature.
~Now that I have finished the last story I am almost tempted to add another star. My decision is based solely on the last story. "Pretty Monsters" is by far the best story in the collection. There is a point early on when you will predict the ending. You know who is who and what is what. But like all great stories this one has a slight twist. It is a twist that makes the whole collection worth a read.~
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Monsters.