Teena in Toronto's Reviews > Bombshell

Bombshell by Mike Faricy

Jan 19, 2013

Read in January, 2013

This is the first book I've read by Mike Faricy and I enjoyed it a lot. I like reading mysteries with PIs, which are part of a series.

When the story begins, Dev Haskell has just taken his date to a bar, only to watch her leave with a suave French guy. There he meets Justine (aka Spankie) who is a player in a roller derby league.

The next day, while trying to find some enthusiasm to do some background checks for a client, Justine calls Dev and offers him a job as security for Harlotte Davidson, the star of an English roller derby team which is touring the U.S. Someone has been sending Harlotte human fingers (always the middle one!). It sounds like a sweet gig for him ... until he is charged with attacking Harlotte. And then things keep getting worse from there.

I liked the writing style a lot. It was well-paced, sarcastic and funny. Dev's recovery from a beating and his date with Heidi are hilarious!

Dev is a hoot ... I bet he'd be fun to hang out with. He never says no to a beer and is always on the lookout for ladies. When he has no place to stay, he has no problem turning on the charm (at least in his own mind) trying to find a place to crash. His lawyer, Louie, is a mess (literally) and usually hammered but comes through for Dev when he needs him.

The whodunit was fairly obvious and wrapped up pretty quickly. But just when you think the story over, we are treated to a surprise revenge for Dev.

I can't wait to read more novels by this author!

Blog review post: http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2013/01...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bombshell.