Camille's Reviews > Dawn

Dawn by V.C. Andrews

Feb 09, 2009

bookshelves: own, favorites

This book is in my favorites section and I feel the need to explain... it's more for sentimental value not actually the greatness of the writing.

In 7th grade while all my friends were into the Sweet Valley High books, I was devouring the world of V.C. Andrews. It’s something about the lonely, outcast, but talented orphan, finding her "real" family which happens to ridiculously rich. Of course her real family treats her horribly because of the "secret scandal" which expunged her from the family in the first place. While said orphan, adapts to her "new" life she will have to battle the unwanted attention of a family member (usually her brother) who will inevitably fall in love with her (all books have some type of incest). Eventually her talent (either singing, playing an instrument, or ballet) will be her saving grace and she will find happiness, but not before inheriting the family fortune.

Yup, that is a pretty good description of ALL V.C. Andrews book but I loved them! Maybe it was my own secret wish that I was adopted and my real family was rich and famous, which caused me to basically read the same story plot over and over again. Or maybe it was the subtle sexuality in the books which made me feel rebellious because I’m pretty sure my mother wouldn’t want me to read about “near rapes” by someone’s brother when I was 12 years old. Either way, I started to circulate these books around my girlfriends and we became Mr. Levin’s 7th Grade English Class V.C. Andrews reading group.

So I add this book to my favorites list because it sparked the love of reading for me when I was very young.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dawn.

06/05/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Proof positive that young readers should be given the freedom to choose their own reading material! Thanks, Camille. Jeff :o)

Camille Yes! I'm in the camp that younger readers should be allowed to read anything... as long as they are reading, right! Of course after my V.C. Andrews reading binge, I moved onto books by Donald Goines... which I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have read at that age... but at least I was reading!

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Even Donald Goines would be okay, if the young reader had someone to talk to about it afterwards...like a responsible parent, a caring teacher, a dedicated librarian.

Well, maybe not too young!

message 2: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Hee hee....I went through a V.C. Andrews phase in middle school myself. I had forgotten about that! :)

Hanna Spot on summary of the VC Andrews formula!