Vickie's Reviews > Temping Is Hell

Temping Is Hell by Cathy Yardley

F_50x66
Nov 18, 12

Review:

When the temp agency sends Kate on an assignment to Fiendish Industries, she intends to work for a few weeks and save some money. After all, corporate America is not her bag. And, after meeting her supervisor, Maggie, she hopes the time flies by. She gives Kate an assignment, upon Kate’s insistence, which causes Kate to have to work late into the night. That is when she meets Thomas Kestrel, handsome billionaire businessman who seems to have it all. Money, power, looks…… And as she finds out along the way, things aren’t always as they seem.

A few years ago, Thomas’ fiancé developed stage 3 cancer and treatments weren’t working. That’s when Thomas was approached by someone promising they could help. The catch? Thomas had to sign over his soul. And, he did. He’d do anything to save Elizabeth. But things didn’t go as planned and he lost Elizabeth. And, he’s bound and determined to do what it takes to get his soul back. All he has to do is find the 12 signatories (people who signed over their soul to the one who signed Thomas), kill them, and then kill the one who signed him. His right-hand man and “mystical” mentor, Yagi, is training him to do just that. Then, he’s a free man. Simple, right?

Kate is swept into a world that she had no idea existed and finds herself right in the middle of something she doesn’t understand. Her best friend, Prue, is her lifeline. But, when Kate is attacked viciously by one of the signatories, Thomas is determined not to lose her and she signs her soul over to him, in order to save her life. Problem is, Kate still isn’t completely aware of exactly what she has done. And, she still doesn’t completely trust Thomas. He thinks that by keeping her in the dark about all that is going on, he’ll be able to keep her safe. And when Prue, who is a lot more than Kate could have ever imagined, turns Kate away, Kate is devastated. Who can she trust? What is she to do? Is she doomed to hell? Will Thomas keep her safe as he promises, or will Kate save the day?

I really liked this book. Kate is a little flaky, a lot sarcastic and willing to stand up for what she believes is the right thing. Problem is, the lines keep getting blurred for her. She has a hard time figuring out what exactly IS the right thing, but once she figures out who the truly bad guys are, it’s on! Thomas keeps trying to do the right thing, but is a bit selfish. It’s not until later in the book that he realizes he may have been trusting the wrong people, and that Kate is who he needs to trust.

There are some hilarious moments in this book. And some heartwarming moments. One of my favorite lines in the whole book: “Thomas asked Yagi, ‘couldn’t you ….you know?’ He wiggled his fingers. ‘Could I do jazz hands?’ Yagi said”. And, Kate’s interaction with the demons in the basement is laugh out loud funny in places. And, I have to tell you, Ho Ho snack cakes are involved. ;) I’d love to say more. There is a twist or two that you may or may not see coming, but I don’t want to ruin it for anyone. But, I can tell you, I will definitely be reading the next one in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Temping Is Hell.