Robin's Reviews > Red Prophet

F 50x66
Feb 16, 09

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in February, 2009

Though some of this sets up the idea of the Crystal City, for the most part it seemed a detour, which so early in the series, made it harder for me to engage, especially when Alvin doesn't make an appearance until the third or fourth chapter. I am discovering it is a common device in fantasy that I find annoying. You become involved with the main characters, and look forward to the next one in the series, only to be put off by characters and situations that you could care less about how ever pertinent they are to the long range story arc. The fate of the Indians in America is never easy reading, and this novel makes sure of it. However it is the classic step of the hero leaving home and family as his first step to his destiny. The character based on Tecumseh is strong, but true to his nature, a character to respect rather than connect to. In fact none of the characters in this novel other than Alvin and his brother Measure (which I want to see lots of in the future but think it unlikely) and a short cameo by Taleswapper are people one can feel emotional attachment to, including the rest of Alvin's family, a big about-face from Seventh Son.

There is a kind of disconnect between the ending of book 1, which has painted Armor-of-God as a self-righteous prig about to be turned by the Unmaker as a tool to bring Alvin to harm through religious persecution, to the man we meet in this one. Said persecution never happens, and Armor-of-God is the man standing alone in a rabid crowd who want revenge after Alvin and Measure have apparently been kidnapped and butchered by the Shawnee. It doesn't interfere too much, but it is curious in a careful writer.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Prophet.

02/09/2009 page 95