Wendy's Reviews > Westmark

Westmark by Lloyd Alexander

Feb 25, 09

bookshelves: sf-fantasy
Read in February, 2009

A smart, fast-paced YA fantasy. Two things really impress me about this book. First, the sheer economy of language with which Alexander makes a large cast of characters vivid and keeps the plot moving. This book accomplishes more in ~185 pages than many a doorstopper fantasy accomplishes in twice the space. (Which is good, because once I started it, I didn't really want to put it down.)

Second, Alexander does a great job of making his characters have different goals and points of view. Being a good guy in this book is a complicated thing - it doesn't mean that you want the same thing as all the other good guys.

Finally, anyone who's ever criticized fantasy for being generally politically retrograde will be pleased to hear that while some characters are out to restore the rightful monarch to the throne, some are much more interested in seeing the people of Westmark rule. (Personally, I've been wishing for ages for more fantasy novels in which the characters fight to restore the just and rightful democracy, and Lloyd Alexander's had one for a couple of decades now.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Westmark.

02/24/2009 page 122
66.3% "Was strongly tempted to stay up past my bedtime finishing this, but decided to wait. There are two more books in the series, after all."