Kate's Reviews > Bambi

Bambi by Felix Salten

Feb 09, 09

bookshelves: 1993-and-before, classics

I loved deer when I was younger, so how could I pass up reading Bambi, even though I had already seen the movie (especially since I got an ancient copy of the book from my uncle)?

I never really understood those people who cried when Bambi's mother died in the movie - it didn't make much of an impression on me. The book was quite a bit more complex than the Disney movie, and had many more sad scenes than the movie. I remember very clearly the character of Gobo, a deer about Bambi's age, who is captured by Man and kept as a pet, then returned to the forest when he is much older... which eventually leads to his downfall because he now sleeps at night instead of during the day and cannot understand that other animals prey on him, and because he now trusts humans, who of course hunt deer. Gobo is completely dropped from the Disney movie. I also don't think Bambi made friends with any skunks named Flower (there may have been some rabbit named Thumper, however).

I actually remember the book better than the movie - I can't remember how the movie ends but the book's ending is fairly clear in my mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bambi.