Vijay's Reviews > The People of Paper

The People of Paper by Salvador Plascencia

U_50x66
Feb 11, 09

Read in February, 2009

fact that this made me endure hating the first 70 pages isn't to be taken lightly. Maybe I got used to the tone of the book, or maybe it actually changed, I can't really tell, but I seriously considered just giving it back to the library; boy would that have been a mistake. I also won't give it 5 stars because it's just not really worth it.

If I had to sum this novel up, I'd say it's a novel filled to the brim with graphological and metafictional acrobatics, but it's all about love love love. Once you start to move out of the artificiality of some of the character's lives and into the mind of the author, things become much more lucid, entertaining and moving. His language isn't particularly amazing, except in a given moment or two when it really strikes a chord. But I'd wholeheartedly recommend this.

There might be accusations leveled against this novel of being all style and no substance; it's an easy accusation to make, but I would deny it, deny it vehemently. this book is awesome. though I'm sceptical on whether Placencia's next novel will be as good, or whether he even plans to write a second novel.

Of course, my fascination with the whole metafictional thing could just be because this is the first of the sort that I've read. Maybe it's done a lot better in other books, but either way. nice one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The People of Paper.