James Schneider's Reviews > Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace

Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story by D.T. Max

2009980
Nov 18, 2012

There is a lot of clarification and expansion on muddled previous knowledge available here. While I don't find the salacious details of DFW's life interesting in the least, Every Love Story is a Ghost Story is extremely useful for the context it provides w/r/t the chronology and context of his work, and his short stories in particular. Unfortunately, D.T. Max seems much more interested in DFW's work and life leading up to and through the publication of Infinite Jest, which includes only three major pieces of work - The Broom of the System, Girl With Curious Hair, and IJ itself - than the work afterward, which is more voluminous and diverse - A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, Brief Interviews With Hideous Men, Consider the Lobster, Everything and More, Oblivion, The Pale King.

I think though, that Max accomplishes what he set out to, and I feel confident that the next several decades are going to see such an explosion of DFW-related scholarship that my desire for more balanced history will be sated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story.