Eastofoz's Reviews > Meet Me at Midnight

Meet Me at Midnight by Suzanne Enoch

May 28, 09

bookshelves: historical-regency

Not one of Enoch’s best. The story drags in some parts and the back blurb is very misleading. The reader is led to believe that a battle of wits and some good banter is going to happen between the h/h but it’s very tame compared to Enoch’s other novels which was disappointing because she can write a funny tit-for-tat-right-back-at-ya story like the best of them.

Vixen (Victoria) and Sin (Sinclair) get together for the first time because of a dare but then they’re caught in a compromising situation and are forced to marry. This is all part of Sin’s master plan as a way to find out who killed his brother. Sin is supposed to be the black sheep of the family but it’s later revealed that he’s anything but.

My beef with the story is that there is too much focus on solving the murder mystery and not enough on the h/h’s relationship. It read more like a historical suspense novel than a regency romance at times. The heroine comes across as a risk taker, often flirting in the company of men and snubs her nose at society, its conventions and expectations so you’d think she knows a thing or two about life, well I found it totally out of character that she didn’t know how you became pregnant (!). That just seemed dumb. She also gets to be annoying because the author tries too hard to paint her as a smart woman always wanting to help even if there's danger around the corner. Sort of like the idiot in the horror movie who opens the door down the dark hallway knowing full well that something bad is likely to happen. When the villain is revealed I was relieved hoping that we could focus back on the h/h but that wasn’t really the case because you’re only a few pages before the end of the book. They end up loving each other from here to eternity but it’s as if it’s the expected next step in their relationship even though they don’t do much together that makes the reader believe that they really do love each other. The ending is too rushed.

Lucien and Alexandra from the previous novel make a few appearances and they added a bit of fun to the story. Vixen and Sin are likeable enough but there are no real sparks and it’s all relatively predictable. Books one and three in the trilogy were quite good but this one isn’t of the same caliber. One of those forgettable, seen it all before novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meet Me at Midnight.

05/16/2009 page 1
0.27% "Relishing a good read :D"
05/28/2009 page 384
100% "Not as good as usual."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Corrine The third one is the best, IMO, and it opens the door to the Lessons In Love trilogy. But I enjoyed this one more than the first one.

message 2: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina I still have to read this trilogy. Maybe I'll read out of order and start with the 3rd book. My OCD will have a fit, but I did it before (with Lessons in Love, no less) and survived - sort of, LOL...

message 3: by Auntee (new)

Auntee That's something I don't ever think I've read--a historical suspense novel. Can you think of any?

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Good question Auntee! Now you've got me thinking ...

Corrine I think some of Candace Camp's border on historical suspense romance, if you've ever read any of those. They're okay, not keepers, IMO.

message 6: by new_user (last edited May 29, 2009 12:24PM) (new)

new_user There are a few historical romances with a pretty heavy dose of suspense, but I haven't read an out and out historical suspense. I think they're shelved under historical fiction or noir or something.

Good review, East. You pointed out one of the things that concerned me in the first novel I read of hers, which was the heroine. She seemed all purity and goodness, etc. (not my favorite type) and I'll-sacrifice-myself-even-though-it-won't-help-anything, LOL. There are altogether too many of those stupidly brave types. There need to be more smart heroines, LOL.

Eastofoz Corrine I totally agree with you that the third one is the best and that the Lessons in Love series is way better. I just loved Georigiana and Dare in L in L series :D

Dina I'm one of those "have to read it in order" people too but for this series I read book 3 first (it was recommended to me and I didn't even know it was part of the series) then I decided to start from the beginning once I realized I liked Enoch so I read one and two. There are no huge spoilers really if you read it out of order. I think there are more spoilers in L in L than the With this Ring trilogy if you read out of order.

Auntee, Sharon Page's The Club comes to mind here for a historical romantic suspense --didn't like that one either (lol!)

Thanks NU :) I hate the squeeky clean/self-sacrificing-to-the-point-of-absurdity heroine too (!)All they do is cry when the meany hero doesn't "understand that they're only try to help" waa waa (*sigh sigh*) :-/