Debby's Reviews > Everbound

Everbound by Brodi Ashton

Let me take you through my immediate reactions during the last 10 pages and after finishing this book. "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!" "You just... I don't..." "I can't even..." "I don't know... I just don't know..." I'm pretty much still in that state. I am literally fighting the urge to just pull my knees up to my chest and slowly rock back and forth, because that is what this book has done to me, and to have to wait another year for the series's conclusion is unthinkable.

Considering the trend I've recently gone through with sequels (particularly middle books) not living up to their predecessors I'm so glad that I can confidently say that's NOT the case for Everbound. Everbound was every bit as engaging and entertaining as Everneath, if not even better.

I must say I was astounded by the world building. I loved the Everneath. It was so imaginative and creative, while simultaneously incorporating Greek myths extremely well. (I REALLY LIKE GREEK MYTHS OKAY?? *cough* I just want more stories like this.) It was a really vivid world that I loved reading about.

While Everbound, like its predecessor has its fair share of teenage angst, it's all very realistic and understandable. And I think it's less than the first book. Everbound is action packed and takes the fantasy elements up a notch, which made for an extremely addictive and compulsive read.

In the first book, I was a total fan of Jack. But here, he wasn't really present. We got a Cole instead. AND OH MY GOD THE FEELS. I usually hate love triangles but this one totally has me sitting on the fence, and it feels like I could change my mind any second. Cole gets a lot more character development and depth in this installment, and it's hard not to feel anything for this new side that he starts showing. But Miss Ashton won't let you forget about Jack either! No, through a series of beautiful flashbacks, we learn more about the backstory and history of Jack and Nikki's relationship. And thus, I sit on the fence.

Of course, the ending does sort of toss things up in the air, once again. I don't know how Brodi comes up with these things... This is how I want my plot twists. Out of freaking NOWHERE, that you NEVER see it coming. I sort of feel like I've been punched in the gut, and at the same time, I'm really happy about it. (Wow, let's not publicize your masochistic tendencies, Debby.) You get all the awards, Brodi.

Summing Up:

Overall, Everbound proves that a second or middle book in a series can move the plot forward, answer questions, be highly entertaining, and still leave readers begging for more. The characters receive so much more development, and the romance is even more addictive than the first go-round. Brodi weaves a beautiful tapestry of plot and world building, and I seriously don't know how I'll survive the wait for the last book. Is there anyone I can hire to go find me a manuscript or ARC or something?

Recommended To:

EVERYONE who liked the first book, and anyone who maybe wasn't sure about it before now.

Snuggly Oranges - YA Book Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everbound.

Quotes Debby Liked

Brodi Ashton
“Tell me, friend," Jack said, his fingertips grazing mind as people shuffled past us in the hallway. "Is there more for us?"
I looked at my feet. "There's everything for us.”
Brodi Ashton, Everbound

01/23/2013
01/24/2013
100.0% "OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDD"
show 1 hidden update…