Chris's Reviews > Duplicate Effort

Duplicate Effort by Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Feb 11, 09

bookshelves: sci-fi-mystery

** spoiler alert ** After reading Rusch’s last Retrieval Artist novel, I was a little worried that the tone of the series would shift. I shouldn’t have been worried. Duplicate Effect ties closely in with the previous two books in the series and offers answers to questions about the clones of Flint’s daughter. The plot moves briskly, and there is not a word wasted. Rusch has a talent for making even the minor characters have a life of their own. It is unclear if this is the last book in the series. The book feels either like an ending or the beginning of a new stage as Flint moves into a warmer direction than previously all the while acting like Flint. The question of whether or not he will become Paloma is answered here. If the book is the last book, it is a good ending. If it is not, it also functions as a good transition by fleshing out characters, such as Romey and Nyquist as well as Talia. My one complaint is that I wanted more DeRicci than I got, though it was nice to see her more comfortable in her role (and to be honest, I don’t know how more DeRicci would’ve fit in). Talia also didn’t quite feel like a 13 year old, but considering what has happened to her, Rusch should get a pass on that. The moral questions raised in the other books continue here, and the reader is even treated to Flint’s view on his ex-wife actions. I look forward to reading Rusch’s next novel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duplicate Effort.