Leah's Reviews > Warm Bodies

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Nov 17, 2012

Read from January 25 to 26, 2013

Rating: 4 of 5

I've watched numerous movies that twist the traditional zombie mythology (for instance, FIDO), a few of which even involved love stories (My Boyfriend's Back and Boy Eats Girl are fun examples). But, if memory serves, this was my first experience with the literary equivalent.

Warm Bodies was way better than I expected, yay! The underlying question of what makes one a member of the Living versus the Dead was prevalent; I never get bored exploring potential answers to that question. Free will was another thought-provoking theme.

The narrative was present tense - not the distracting, amateurish kind, either; the does-its-job right variety - and the narrator, a flesh-eating zombie called R, jumped off the page, grabbed my empathy by the throat and sunk his teeth deep. In other words, I liked R almost immediately. A huge element of the likability factor: R's existential crisis never felt whiny or angsty (thank you, baby jesus!)

Having read the cover blurb and seen the movie trailer, I'll admit to having been a little scared that Warm Bodies might do to zombies what that certain time-of-day book did to vampires. I'm happy to report there were no vegetarian, emotionally-abusive, sparkly zombies. There was nothing cool about being one of the Dead, and through R's eyes we understood why.

The story's quirks actually made it better. The anatomical illustrations as the chapter headings. The overabundance of ellipses. Frank Sinatra. The side effects of eating brains. All added to the book's heart-warming nature and overall individuality.

So why didn't I give it the full 5 stars? Several reasons, but mainly because it started to feel rushed and a little too sentimental the last 30 pages, especially pages 233-239. Other than those minor flaws, Warm Bodies was a fun, post-apocalyptic, love story mixed with some coming-of-age. And like most love (coming-of-age) stories the two "people" have to overcome obstacles to "live" happily ever after.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

Quotes Leah Liked

Isaac Marion
“There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, and it's up to you how you respond to it.”
Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Isaac Marion
“You should always be taking pictures, if not with a camera then with your mind. Memories you capture on purpose are always more vivid than the ones you pick up by accident.”
Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

01/26/2013 page 88
36.0% "Fido (the 2006 movie) has come to mind a couple times thus far. LOVE the anatomical illustrations as chapter headings. R is quite likable, maybe even lovable. Can't wait to see how the story plays out. I really hope R and Julie survive somehow."
01/26/2013 page 239
100.0% "Fave quotes:

"You should always be taking pictures, if not with a camera then with your mind. Memories you capture on purpose are always more vivid than ones you pick up by accident (p.87)."

"There's no benchmark for how life's 'supposed' to happen...There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, and it's up to you how you respond to it (p.113).""