Rain Misoa's Reviews > The Replacement

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Nov 20, 12

bookshelves: must-own
Recommended to Rain by: Library
Recommended for: Horror Fans and people who can ignore stupid teenage hormones.
Read from November 17 to 20, 2012, read count: 1

What an amazing ride this was! I'm not even sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. So let's start shall we? I've seen this book around everywhere. People kept saying how good it was and how scary it was and me, being a huge fan of the horror genre, decided to check it out. I go to the library taking out my usual eighteen plus books (no lie) and I see it there on the shelf. Of course I had to bring it home with me to read. It took me a while to get to it and I finally did. Oh, and I am so glad I did. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting and I did have a few issues with it but it was still worth my time.

Brana Yovanoff wrote a great book. I love her writing style. It's smooth and engaging. It sucks you in from the get-go and I did not want to put it down. Her ability to write a story is among the best I have ever come across. I am looking forward to reading more books by her. Especially if she has more characters in her books like Emma, Roswell, and the Cutter! Oh my God! The Cutter! He is freaky, mad, and terrifying all in one! (Not to mention sexy as hell!) Definitely one of the best horrifying creatures to ever be created in a book. Emma is sweet, smart, and looks out for her brother. Roswell = Best. Friend. Ever. Yovanoff did a fabulous job in creating these characters.

There is one thing that bugs me about this book, though. The romance aspect. In my opinion, it came out of no where. Mackie and Tate were decent characters. I thought Tate was pretty badass. I liked her attitude and how she didn't put up with anyone's bullshit. Mackie was tragic and I felt for him... at the beginning. The moment he started acting like a douche, I lost all respect for him. Still, overall, they were good characters... as individuals. Pair them together as a couple and it went down the toilet. Whenever they were together, all Tate did was yell at him and insult him whilst Mackie just tried to ignore her. Then, all of a sudden, they were doing the nasties. I still don't see how their relationship worked. So, even though I love this book (the world, the plot, the side characters, etc.), I did not enjoy the romance aspect of it. Yovanoff still needs to work on that, I'm afraid.

Overall, I do recommend this book. It was such a fantastic read! So engaging! You will NOT want to put it down! Especially once you get introduced to the Cutter! Ugh! So amazing! My advice to readers, ignore the crappy romance to the book and you will be fine. You shall enjoy it. It's not necessarily scary as it is creepy which, if you ask me, is just as good! Have fun with this lovely book! <333
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Replacement.

11/17/2012 page 1
0.0% "After the last book I read *Twitch*, I decided to pick up a book that I think I am going to enjoy. I heard great things about it and it's horror, one of my favorite genres to read, so I have high hopes for this. I really hope I enjoy it! Let's get this show on the road! >:3"
11/17/2012 page 5
1.0% "The character's name is Alice Harms. I am not amused, book. Not amused at all. -_-" She likes green, too... cosmic joke! That's what this is!"
11/17/2012 page 8
2.0% "Annnnnnd I hate Alice. What joy. -_-""
11/17/2012 page 11
3.0% "I love Winnie the Pooh and Goodnight Moon. <3"
11/17/2012 page 13
3.0% "Well, that was bizarre. Though I am intrigued. Hmm... I wonder why they switched him..."
11/17/2012 page 22
6.0% ""Clack" *Giggles like an idiot* Okay... I'm done." 10 comments
11/17/2012 page 33
9.0% "Damn... Mackie has it rough. So many rules to live by just because of who he is. It's for his safety, sure, but that doesn't make it any less irritating or exhausting. Poor kid."
11/17/2012 page 50
14.0% "You know what? I like Tate. She has balls! She's not afraid to face people down and tell them to go fuck themselves. I like that in a person. <3" 5 comments
11/18/2012 page 57
16.0% "Been getting yaoi vibes from both Mackie and Roswell for quite some time now and this looking into each other's eyes thing is just enhancing that even more... and I am not complaining one bit. >:3"
11/18/2012 page 66
19.0% "That... was so hot. *Q*"
11/18/2012 page 73
21.0% "Tate, you are so badass. Marry me. <33333"
11/18/2012 page 85
24.0% "End of the first part. This Janice chick... what's her deal, anyway? Well, I'm sure we will find out eventually. On to part two! <333"
11/18/2012 page 93
27.0% "Ugh... not this slut again. -_-""
11/18/2012 page 102
29.0% "And here's where the book starts to get creepy. I like it. >:3 I can almost smell the rotting flesh of that girl. The writing of this book is very good. Me likes a lot."
11/18/2012 page 111
32.0% "Oh my word... that explains the cut throat. Yuck..."
11/18/2012 page 118
34.0% "So... that's what happened to the real Mackie. But if that's so... then is he there with them or is this place just for the bizarre? Hm? Meant for the unclean... guess I know where I would end up! XD"
11/18/2012 page 120
34.0% "There's something odd about this whole thing. I am not sure what is going on here... I need more information before I can make an educated guess. Still, very interesting how these other beings work." 2 comments
11/19/2012 page 126
36.0% "Oh, Emma, you are beautiful. A mind like your makes you one of the most beautiful people I've ever come across. Mackie, you hug your sister and you tell her she's gorgeous! Do it now! <333"
11/19/2012 page 133
38.0% "There's only so many times a person can hear something before it starts becoming true. Or at least... for someone to start believing it to be true. The opposite of that can also be true. That's why words can be powerful. You must use them wisely because not everyone has the ability to overcome them."
11/19/2012 page 134
39.0% "That Alice slut is with another guy. Why am I not surprised? -_-"" 4 comments
11/19/2012 page 145
42.0% "That was intense! This brings a whole new meaning to Hocus Pocus. X3"
11/19/2012 page 158
46.0% "Am I the only one who finds the Morrigan cute? Because she is so adorable. Forget the fact that she has an ugly mouth with teeth that reminds me of Mileena from Mortal Kombat. She's freaking sweet! X3 ...if a bit strange. XP"
11/19/2012 page 176
51.0% "Okay... I really like this book. But there's something I need to say that has been bothering me since the beginning of it. I don't like the romance aspect to it. Mackie and Tate are attracted to one another but... why!? I don't see how that could be possible. They rarely spent any time together and then all of a sudden BOOM! They like each other. This scene at the churchyard was just a big waste of time because it"
11/19/2012 page 176
51.0% "came out of no where. When they were ever together, it was mostly Tate just being mad at Mackie and Mackie trying to ignore all her insults. I have no problem with them as individuals but as a couple? No. It doesn't work that way. Also, who does the smexies near a churchyard? Come on, Yovanoff. Don't make me start hating you... because I can. *Glares*"
11/19/2012 page 186
54.0% "Wow, Mackie and Emma, your mother is a real bitch."
11/19/2012 page 194
56.0% "Annnnnd now Mackie is acting like an idiot because Tate doesn't feel like being like every other girl by gushing over some guy she's supposed to be pissed at by asking Alice out on a date. The book is starting to turn stupid and I don't like it. It better go back to being good or, so help me, I will burn it!"
11/19/2012 page 198
57.0% "Again, Mackie, why do you want to hang out with these losers?"
11/19/2012 page 201
58.0% "Ha! You deserved it you stupid jerk. It's official, I hate Mackie. Just another dumbass guy who would go with any girl as long as they are pretty and, of course, has a hole between their legs. God, this is pissing me off!"
11/19/2012 page 204
59.0% "Roswell, just let him die. He's a douche. He deserves it. *Sighs* Roswell is too good a friend for Mackie. Roswell deserves better than this prick."
11/19/2012 page 210
61.0% "The Morrigan... *Sniffs* She is such a wonderful creature. I'm totally in love with her. Definitely my favorite in the whole book. <3"
11/20/2012 page 217
63.0% "Pffft! You got that right about her, Roswell. XD I love Roswell! Dude, I want to follow him around. He's not as stupid as Mackie."
11/20/2012 page 229
66.0% "Tate... what the hell are you doing? I thought you were pretty badass for beating the shit out of Alice. I mean, let's face it, she had it coming. But this? What you are doing now... yeah... it's stupid. Don't do it. Just don't."
11/20/2012 page 232
67.0% "...revolting. But at least they got interrupted! XD" 17 comments
11/20/2012 page 239
69.0% "DUN DUN DUN!"
11/20/2012 page 243
70.0% "Wow, Mackie. Rude much?"
11/20/2012 page 258
75.0% "Lady, you are a beatiful villain. Can I touch you?"
11/20/2012 page 267
77.0% "Holy crap! Emma! My baby! DX"
11/20/2012 page 279
81.0% "Emma, what are you doing? Everyone knows you NEVER wrap your hair in a rubber band. That damages the hair severely!"
11/20/2012 page 287
83.0% "Dammit Roswell. Stop making me feel things. It's making my heart ache. *Sniffs* Oh, bloody hell! Why are you such a good person!? Ugh! Mackie doesn't deserve your kindness! He doesn't at all! *Sobs* Crap! I'm in the middle of a feels attack! I can't! Oh dear! I can't! DX Roswell! *Hugs him to pieces* DARLING!!!"
11/20/2012 page 302
88.0% "The Cutter is so fearsome! I like his badassery. However, if he does something to my Roswell then THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY!!!"
11/20/2012 page 303
88.0% "Am I a sick bastard for finding the Cutter sexy as hell? I am. Well, I've been called worse." 10 comments
11/20/2012 page 310
90.0% "*Fans self* The Cutter... giving me some feelings that are... shall we say NOT appropriate. >:3"
11/20/2012 page 313
91.0% "The Cutter: "All I want is for you to stand here and watch the people you love be horribly mutilated. Is that so much to ask?"
Saying all this as he leans in close to Mackie, running his along Mackie's neck. God, the Cutter is fucking awesome! I want him." 3 comments
11/20/2012 page 318
92.0% "Though he is slightly mad, the Cutter has an elegance about him. Look at that. He bowed to Tate because she bested him in a fight. Did he get upset about it? No! He said how he would like to meet her in battle again one day, bowed, and walked off like the badass that he is. Do you know how much I admire that in a character? That's it! The Cutter! Best. Character. Ever! Love him! <3333"
11/20/2012 page 343
100.0% "Wow... where do I start? This book was pretty good. I enjoyed myself. Especially towards the end of it. I had my problems with it but overall, I'm glad I read it."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melanie I'm reading it too!

Rain Misoa Really!? That's great! Just started it not too long ago myself. How's it going for you? Is it any good or is it not that amazing?

Melanie I haven't been getting much time to read it but it's pretty good so and seems really interesting :)

Rain Misoa Well, I am glad to hear that! I hope it stays that way throughout the remainder of the book. If it gets stupid, I'm head/desking myself... DX

message 5: by N.T. Embe (new)

N.T. Embe Yep, definitely gonna read this one. 83

Melanie YOU FINISHED!?!?
I seriously need to get reading :|

Rain Misoa Yeah! I did finish! Wasn't that bad. A pretty good read once you get past the stupid parts.

I'm a pretty fast reader so don't worry about it too much. You'll get to it when you have the time. ^_^