Alex Watkins's Reviews > The Diamond of Darkhold

The Diamond of Darkhold by Jeanne DuPrau

Feb 08, 09

bookshelves: apocalypse, young-adult, 2009
Read in February, 2009

This book had some promise but I think mostly squandered what could have been a very inspiring re-building of civilization story. It trades the first and second books slight suspension of disbelief requiring realism for pure utopianism. In new society that is created we will all use green energy! yay it's totally plausible. Also have a pony! Also Aliens! it totally ties in with that third book I swear! Was this all the authors fantasy of the world being destroyed but then being rebuilt totally more awesome plus a pony. I was also annoyed with the addition to the Ember construction that was clearly invented here and just felt tacked on, perhaps just so that the title could be The diamond of darkhold which I admit is rocking the alliteration. I would have much preferred no diamond, but rather something that was not such a dues ex machina. Also the there is a family named trogg that lives underground which meant I had to think about warcraft every time they were mentioned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diamond of Darkhold.