Sophia's Reviews > Deadly Sting

Deadly Sting by Jennifer Estep

Jan 15, 13

bookshelves: edelweiss
Read on January 14, 2013

This ARC copy of Deadly Sting was given to me by Edelweiss and Pocket Books in exchange for an honest review. Publish Date March 26, 2013.

Okay the last book I was completely disappointed how Gin and Owen’s relationship ended. And in this book I wasn’t thrilled either but I think that the next book is when they get together. This book was definitely refreshing in that it wasn’t the same old plot line like in the last 7 books.

This is how it usually goes down:
1. Gin gets beaten up or someone close to her gets beaten up.
2. They go to a party to case the joint and/or person they want to kill
3. Mab is somehow involved with the entire scheme
4. Gin gets beat up within an inch of her life
5. Gin has a flashback involving Fletcher
6. JoJo heals her and Sophia grumbles in the background, while Finn whines about fashion/clothes
7. Gin tries to kill the bad guy again and she fails yet again and gets beaten up within another inch of her life.
8. Gin has another flashback
9. But wait all of the sudden she finds inner strength or her powers seemed to not be as diminished as she thought and/or she’s more powerful than she thought and somehow she kills the bad guy
10. JoJo heals her again, Sophia cleans up
11. And while all that is happening the guy that Gin is currently seeing is being an ass to her and making her feel guilty about herself.
12. We see that Gin is more vulnerable than she lets people see.
13. Again with the Fletcher flashbacks

Close enough? Well this book didn’t follow that well not so much. The majority of the book takes place all in one night, while everyone is held hostage and Gin is the only one creeping around killing all the bad guys. Plus she’s dealing with her emotions with Owen and what happens during the whole hostage situation. Also there were a lot less flashbacks, which I completely appreciated. I mean this is the 8th book I think we know enough of Gin’s backstory. Also I think Jennifer Estep is getting better with the whole retelling of previous books in current books. I find it a lot easier to read when I’m not being constantly reminded about what Sophia wears, or how Finn loves clothes and women, OR what Mab’s rune looks like. But there were still elements so that we didn’t forget but not enough to drive me bat-shit crazy.

Overall I thought this book was great. It was familiar but new. I liked the structure of this book more than the others. I also liked getting to see the familiar characters we’ve all grown to love, except my favorite character, Sophia, was absent =(. I hope there’s more Sophia action coming up in the next book. And she’s really dragging this Owen and Gin relationship break thing to another book =(. Oh well, I am on pins and needles and I want to read the next book NOW! Give me more Gin (like the liquor) and Owen (violet sexy eyes)!!

I also would like to add, I devoured this book in a day. I mean don't get me wrong this book has some flaws, BUT I still love Gin in the end.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Sting.

01/14/2013
1.0% "I'm so happy right now I could die. But NO I'm going to read this book and Owen if you are an ass I'll be mad at you!"
01/14/2013
40.0% "If Owen Grayson was a real person, I'd kick in in the balls right about now."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sophia I can't wait for this !!

Feminista I am so glad you downloaded the ARC for this book!

Sophia Me too!