Cara's Reviews > Forest Born

Dec 14, 13

bookshelves: fantasy, series, 2010, siblings
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
Read from May 27 to June 01, 2010

I don't know why every single time I pick up one of these books I'm always surprised that it draws me in so quickly. After I turned the last page I decided right there and then that one day I'm going to re-read the whole series again, and cross my fingers that Shannon Hale will get the notion to make one more. Though I should add, that really like with the other books it can stand alone and ends well.

For the fourth book of Bayern we get to explore the life of Razo's little sister, Rin. Rin is the good girl, Ma's favorite child and Razo's best friend. She can do no wrong but Rin knows the truth. Rin can listen to the trees but what really eats her is a secret that she's been hiding for too long. Unbeknownst to her, that secret she harbors will be a key part in saving the great Kingdom of Bayern.

Hale is just perfect at world building. She gets better every time. Every book a building block in the knowledge of this world. I feel like this place actually exists, and that really is creating magic. Rin's story was a bit difficult to read because at one point you just feel just as defeated as her and beat down, but you just know that somehow they all will figure something out. Plenty of Razo, Finn, Geric, Dasha, Enna and Isi to go around in this story, and I appreciated that. You kind of grow up with them and see how they've changed but also keep true to themselves. The plot had great pacing but I won't go into that so you can be good and surprised once you read it.

I feel in a way that I have a kinship to Bayern and will always root for them. I love the pride that Rin, Razo, Enna and Finn have being Forest born, as they should. By the end of the story Forest born Rin learns that being your true self sometimes takes time to find out, but that's ok and just part of the road we all go through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forest Born.

Quotes Cara Liked

Shannon Hale
“I hate them," Enna said. "Whoever is responsible for making me sleep outside without pillows, I hate them."
Mmm-hmmm...," Dasha said. Rin had noticed that the Tiran girl often had trouble remembering how to speak in the morning.
If Finn were here," Enna continued to mumble as she rewrapped her head cloth, "he'd let me rest my head on his chest at night. Or leg. Or arm. And then he'd find whoever was responsible for the whole sleeping outside with no pillows situation and hold him while I kicked him in the shins.”
Shannon Hale, Forest Born

05/31/2010 page 100
25.71% "Already loving it and now I should go back and read some more..." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ginny Let me know what you think when you get done!!!

Cara Will do:)

Victoria Yeah, I love how all the characters came together in this one. Finn and Enna are still my favs...wedding! W00t! :D

Cara HAHAHA:) Yeah that was nice.