Aerin's Reviews > The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life

The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club by Laurie Notaro

Feb 08, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction, humor
Read in February, 2009

“I’ve changed a bit since high school. Back then I said no to using and selling drugs. I washed on a normal basis and still had good credit.”

Laurie Notaro offers a collection of the same humor she uses in her Phoenix newspaper column to describe life as it really is. From crashing high school reunions to describing the eight stages of drunk, from arriving at jury duty only to be mistaken for homeless to wearing ex-boyfriend un-washed boxers to the gym, Notaro recounts the misadventures of herself and her fellow Idiot Girls.

The book is a light, quick read. I think Notaro herself might punch me if she found out I read it on the treadmill. There are parts that are funny, and parts that are gross enough to be funny, like an entire section on public bathroom etiquette. She writes lightly, however, with just enough self-control that you could take Idiot Girls’ to read on the bus and still be able to look your co-workers in the eye once you got to the office.

Unfortunately, Notaro belongs to the group of people who are about ten years older than I am – people who were in 6th grade in 1976 when I was born. I call these people “the Seinfeld people,” because they’re people who thought Seinfeld was funny. I was too young; the whole “Master of My Domain” thing was totally lost on me. If you are a Seinfeld people, you will love Idiot Girls Action-Adventure Club. If you are not a Seinfeld people, you will still get enough of a chuckle that it’s a book you should pick up if you can.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club.