Elizabeth's Reviews > We

May 29, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: chestnut-lodge, novels, this-house-is-like-russia
Read in May, 2011

1.5 instead of 2. I was excited about reading _We_ but was ultimately disappointed by the book. Not sure if the problem lies in the translation or the writing, but I was not impressed. Normally with other dystopic novels, you learn the "rules" of the new society pretty quickly, or there are plenty of hints scattered about that keep you going. This really wasn't present in my copy of _We_. There were also some big plot holes. If the society is literally transparent, physically, morally, emotionally, etc., then why is there a need for "alone time" or blinds when you are having sex with your assigned partner? Why keep an "untransparent" house & not monitor it more closely so that people can't gather & have thoughts or do actions that deviate from the norm? With temptations like that lying around, it's hard to believe that the society has lasted for thousands of years without any previous revolutions. What is compelling is the main character's torment at trying to decide between his two sides, the one that cries for "unfreedom" & the one that wishes to break free. Lots of interesting ideas here, just not wowed by the execution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We.