Bellezza's Reviews > The Year the Swallows Came Early

The Year the Swallows Came Early by Kathryn Fitzmaurice

Feb 24, 09

bookshelves: read-in-2009
Read in February, 2009

What's worse than having a mother who checks her horoscope every day in order to plan her life? A father who steals from you. Such is Groovy Robinson's life, told through her eyes in a poignant and beautiful story about what it means to be thirteen. About what it means to have flawed parents.

The story opens with Groovy and her Daddy walking to town when Officer Miguel stops them. He arrests her father then and there, and takes him to jail, and we're as suprised as Grovvy is with this sudden and unexpected event.

When she tells her mother, the beauty parlor owner and stylist, her mother calmly says, "I know. I was the one who called the police."

We sort through Groovy's life with her, as she develops her deepest desire to become a cook, as she manages the pain of an inheritance lost, a father in jail, a mother who in many ways is superficial. And yet, the story reaches a beautiful conclusion; one of hope and redemption.

In several ways, this new novel reminded me of Sharon Creech's Walk Two Moon, where the strong female heroine must face incrediable disappointment and loss in the process of growing up. Ultimately, however, there is joy at the end of the journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year the Swallows Came Early.