Daisiemae's Reviews > Gobsmacked

Gobsmacked by L.B. Gregg

This book was really good. I didn't know how I would feel about it because it is written in first person, and it is NO secret how I HATE first person. But, it looked good, so I decided to bite the bullet. I am glad I did.

What surprised me about the book was how funny it was. I truly wasn't expecting to laugh out loud several times. Plus, I came to care about Mark. His inner thoughts rang true to me for some reason. He was very easy to relate to, and I would be proud to call him a friend. Not to say he doesn't do some outrageous things throughout the course of the book. But, I found myself cheering him on even though maybe he didn't make the best...er... wisest choices. I think he did to his cheating lover what MANY of us would gladly do if we had the balls to do it...no pun intended.

Mild mannered Mark Meehan didn't know his day was about to go to hell in a handbasket when he came home from work. When he finds his live in lover having sex with the creepy landlord he flips out. Although, their relationship has been quite tepid lately, he never thought the jerk off would cheat on him.

To say that Mark is angry is an understatement. When he attends weekly mass and spots his cheating lover in the aisle in front of him, he snaps and wallops his cheating lover upside the head with the bible, practically knocking the cheater out. Who knew that violence in the church would cause you to be "escorted" out in the middle of services?

On his way home, he is pulled over for driving UNDER the speed limit by a cop who happens to be his older sisters childhood friend and his crush Tony. Mark has deliberately avoided Tony for a while because of his feelings he has for him. But, seeing Tony again makes Mark want to unload his problems and reconnect with him.

To say that Tony is a sexy hero is an understatement. He is also the the glue that keeps Mark together. The more erratic Mark becomes, the calmer Tony is. They were perfect together.

I loved this book. Not only was it funny, but it had some VERY hot moments between Mark and Tony that had me turning on the ceiling fan. I really enjoyed watching Tony and Mark finally come together at the right time in their lives. They are the kind of characters that I would love for the author to continue their story. I hated for it to end!

If you are offended by laugh out loud moments, hot sex and different ways to get revenge on your cheating ex, this book is not for you.
17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gobsmacked.

02/15/2009 page 1
02/15/2009 page 41
43.16% "Whew...this book suddenly got HOT!"

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought about this one until I saw it was first person now I'm not so sure

Daisiemae I'll let you know. I hate it too:(

message 3: by Natsroshan (last edited Feb 16, 2009 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Natsroshan This one is one of the best (for me): lots of surprises. I read it 3 times!!
I'm dying to know if you'll like it or not.
'Coz lots of great books i read was given 4 or 5 stars by you...

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be interested too. I've heard mixed reviews, mostly good. While first person isn't my favorite I love Josh Lanyon's work and a lot of that is first person, so I think if you like it, I may try it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! Make sure you bring your computer this weekend...lol

Brenda (b) Great review Shellie. You keep going like this though and pretty soon you won't be able to say that you don't like first person any more - LOL!

Daisiemae LOL...it's certainly popular isn't it??

Sidda Lee i wonder why it is.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I wonder too. It's still not my preference.

Lillie It's not my preference either. It depends on the story though. I prefer to know what's going with both of them.

Daisiemae Me too, Lillie. I read one book that was first person, and was very upset because I didn't know what was going on with the other hero who was deaf and was very complex. I hated that I didn't get to see what was going on with him. It almost ruined the story for me.

Rachel Are you talking about St.Nachos? I felt the same way about it!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I don't mind first person. I loved the bible-whomping scene you mentioned, hehe. Sounds like a great read. Thanks for the great review as always.

I dunno how I miss some of these but I will catch up =) I like all your reviews Daisie.

Stephanie Ok, I have to read this book now after learning this: he snaps and wallops his cheating lover upside the head with the bible, practically knocking the cheater out. Who knew that violence in the church would cause you to be "escorted" out in the middle of services?

LOL! I can't stop giggling at that scene!