Zane's Reviews > Novels in Three Lines

Novels in Three Lines by Félix Fénéon

Feb 16, 09

Read in February, 2009

Before there was flash fiction, or people writing novels through text messaging, or cell phones at all for that matter, there was Félix Fénéon's 'Novels in Three Lines'. In 1906, he wrote began writing these 1,220 news summaries in three lines or less for a Parisian newspaper, mostly about theft and crime, using creative syntax to add new meanings to the events. This book collects those lines, as the title suggests, but the macabre element of each adds a violent twist that leaves me suspicious of strangers. I imagine some of them would fit as twitter posts, but I'm not sure whether or not twitter is admissible as criminal evidence yet... so you might hold off reposting these in the first person. Until we hook up Feneon's long decayed brain to the internet, this book may have to suffice, but if anyone knows of someone who twitters stuff like this, please share:

Atop the train station in Enghien a painter was electrocuted. His jaws could be heard clacking, then he fell on the glass roof.

Long the butt of jokes of his work-mate Boissonnet, Canet, of Saint-Cloud, brained him with a soldering iron.

Strikers in Ronchamp, Huate-Saone, threw in the river a worker who insisted on continuing his labor.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Novels in Three Lines.