Zach's Reviews > Assassination Vacation

Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell

Feb 08, 09

Read in February, 2009

It was funny for me to look back on the review I wrote for "Wordy Shipmates" - the other book I've read by Sarah Vowell - and think about how it seemed like "a transcription from an educated dinner party, where the life of the table happened to be intensely passionate and interested in [that:] particular period in American History." Knowing that both of these books were written by the same person, it is clear that the subject matter covered in "Assassination Vacation", that is, the historical circumstances surrounding the assassinations of presidents Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley, is far more near to Vowell's heart (or at least seemingly so) than colonial America. In fact, the genuine passion that I sensed from the way Vowell describes her pilgrimages as she researched significant locations makes her "Wordy Shipmates" seem like it might have been a school project where, in a (successful) attempt to write an engaging paper, she studiously plays up enthusiasm and interest that may or may not have really been felt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassination Vacation.