Lisa's Reviews > Once Burned

Once Burned by Dee Carney

Nov 24, 12

bookshelves: earc, kindle
Read from November 16 to 22, 2012

This is my first book by Dee Carney. I have always wanted to read her but it just never happened until now. This is a short read that you can finish in one evening. Perfect size for those of you who don't want to still be reading at 1AM not that i have anything against that or don't do it myself now and then. lol Darien and Pepper have a history together from back in high school. Darien let peer pressure keep him from having a relationship with Pepper back then. He knew it was wrong and has regretted it for years now. It changed Pepper. Made trusting hard and being around him now hard because even though she has forgiven him she can't forget. Now they are both in this cooking contest with their food trucks and being pushed at each other constantly because of it. They want each other but mistrusts is a tough thing to conquer. Darien tries several times to breech that gap and comes close he thinks a time or two but then it falls apart. I liked this story. I don't read many cooking stories and never one that involved food trucks. My only experience with them personally was in the Army and they called them gut trucks then. Nothing foodwise as good as what's being cooked in this book. I imagine other places they must have these though. In this book Darien has to wrestle with what he did all those years ago and who he is now and try to get Pepper to see who that is now. Pepper just can't seem to let go. She says she forgave him but that's not quite true and now they are both tied to win the $10,000 prize money. Is Darien sincere or just trying to get past her and win the money for himself? Fun little read with some great secondary characters to go with it. I'm up for more Dee Carney in the future.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.

11/16/2012
99.0% "My first book by Dee Carney! Saucy little number!!!"