Sarah's Reviews > The Screwtape Letters

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

Feb 08, 2009

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in February, 2009

I’ve been meaning to read this book for years, and I finally got around to it. I am usually highly critical of “Christian literature” due to my lack of belief in the institution of religion. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed this book. One of my main contentions with religion as a whole is the hypocritical tendencies of the members. While I respect those who have a strong sense faith, and adhere to the principals that religion teaches, I feel like a number of the people I come across say they are Christian but do not live by Christian values. Simply going to church or doing some charity work does not make a good person, or a good Christian for that matter. Written from the viewpoint of the Devil’s agents, this book offers a poignant view into what it means to live what you preach. Despite the fact that I do not claim any specific religion, this book made me step back and reevaluate my approach to the world an my daily life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Screwtape Letters.