Jennifer's Reviews > Testimony

Testimony by Anita Shreve

F_50x66
Feb 08, 09

Read in February, 2009

This is the story of a scandal at an exclusive boarding school and how one moment or decision can have a wide-ranging and long-lasting effect.
This book was an easy and compelling read. I finished it in a quick couple of days and always looked forward to it.

But I couldn't shake the feeling that this book could have used some re-structuring. First of all, I had trouble believing the fact that this scandal was big enough to attract the kind of attention that it did (Brian Williams appears in the tiny town to do the Nightly News). Secondly, it has multiple narrators (maybe ten), all speaking in different tenses and at different moments in time. Most of them are speaking or writing to a researcher who is supposedly contacting them to do a study on the event. This has the problem of being confusing, and the voices of the kids involved don't always ring true. However, the voices of the mothers are spot-on, and that made me think that this story would have better told through them exclusively.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Testimony.