Heather's Reviews > Wondrous Strange

Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston

F_50x66
Feb 08, 09

Read in February, 2009

** spoiler alert ** After a couple false starts, I read this book. Honestly, the first chapters were pretty weak. There was nothing about it that made me interested in the rest of it and the flash forward at the beginning didn't really add anything for me. In fact, I dislike those.

Once I got past the rather boring beginning to the point where Kelley meets Sonny and finds the kelpie, it started to get better. It was all really predictable. Still, it's always interesting to see how someone takes something like fairies and tries to make them their own.

This was not a bad version of the fairy stories and it tried to uses the elements from A Midsummer Night's Dream in the story. It was easy to read and the characters weren't annoying. I particularly enjoyed the moments with Kelley and the kelpie.

The end set up the sequel where Kelley has to use Mabh's dark fairy magic to rescue Sonny from Auberon. Still, the story was completed for this section so, unless you're particularly interested in the Kelley/Sonny love story, I don't know that it's necessary to read more. I'm undecided as to whether I would read more. Maybe. It was pretty good. It just tied up any ends that I was interested in.

There was one thing, though, that really bothered me while I was reading. Kelley was 17 but was living in New York without any adult supervision. There was an attempt at an explanation- she graduated early from high school. But who was paying for her to live there? She sure didn't seem to have a job. Were we supposed to assume that the overprotective aunt who didn't want her to leave (and should have been really concerned about Kelley being so close to the fairy gate) was paying her rent, grocery bills and any other expenses? I really thought this was just a convenience added so Kelley could run around and do anything she wanted without question.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wondrous Strange.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Judy I agree with you about the sequel and also about Kelley running around in NYC without parents. It was strange to me that knowing about her heritage, her aunt would just let her roam free in the city by herself?