Carole's Reviews > Q & A

Q & A by Vikas Swarup

Mar 04, 2009

Read in February, 2009

I had picked up this book and put it down at the library so many times before I finally decided that, yes, I would read it. And I am so glad that I did.

The word 'karma' is never used in the book but that is the word that, to me, sums it up.

The book begins with poor orphan boy Ram being arrested and taken into police custody after being accused by TV producers of cheating in a TV game show. He is tortured by the police who want him to confess, and we know that he is innocent as the game show owners admit to themselves that they just didn't have the money to pay him. Just as Ram is thinking of signing the confession papers to end the torture a young female lawyer comes along and stops the police and takes him away to her home. It is here that we slowly and amazingly learn the story of Ram's life and how he has been able to answer all the questions correctly.

From living and working for an aged film star to being a tour guide at the Taj Mahal and meeting good and bad people inbetween, Ram's faith in the goodness of life does not desert him and his unselfishness and kindness is rewarded when he needs it most.

This is not a book that preaches to the reader - it is a fascinating story that, okay, is full of coincidences, but I feel that life is like that sometimes.......coincidences do happen all the time. And not everything that happens to Ram is good, he does have his fair share of bad luck too.

I really loved this book, in some ways it is such a simple story of rags to riches but with a few twists and turns.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Q & A.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsie (new)

Lindsie Augustin Hi there,

I was looking at some of your past reviews and books on your shelf and I thought you would be interested to know that there’s a new book by Vikas Swarup the author of Slumdog Millionaire called Six Suspects out today. In fact Minotaur Books is giving away free signed copies! http://us.macmillan.com/smp/promo/six...

They even have a Q&A with Vikas Swarup--- http://us.macmillan.com/sixsuspects
and you can meet the “suspects” in the story. It has gotten great reviews and promises to be a thrilling summer read.

Enjoy!